Day Three

A/N: Hey if you guys aren't aware already due to the foreshadowing - Hal does go through some pretty traumatic things in her previous relationship. There aren't any gory details in here, just mentions of abuse. If that's triggering - this is your warning, but know it will get more detailed later on. I will try to warn you prior to the flashbacks scene.

I felt like I had just fallen asleep when I was abruptly awoken by Bradley, who had decided to tackle me with a good morning hug. I sighed, as I sat up seeing it was only five-thirty in the morning. I captured Bradley in my arms, "What are you doing silly? It's too early to be up!" I started tickling him.

 He spoke between giggles, "Daddy, said to wake you up for breakfast. He made our favorite!" 

I stopped tickling and exclaimed, "FRENCH TOAST!" Bradley nodded, also excited - like a kid on Christmas!I jumped out of bed, and threw on a sweater to protect me from the cold morning air, "well then what are we still doing here? Let's go!" 

I picked up Bradley and we hurried down the hall to the kitchen. Nick already had the table set up, and he and Carole already beginning to eat. I put Bradley in his chair and sat down to eat myself. I was surprised Carole was up, but I didn't care too much about it as I dived into the food. 

There was a sudden rapping against the door, I looked at the clock, it was six. Pete must have just gotten here. I had already finished my food, but Nick hadn't gotten the chance to. So I stood up, "I'll get the door; finish eating Nick." 

I then strode over to the door and opened it. My assumption was correct it was Pete, "Good Morning Aviator" I smiled.

He coughed awkwardly, "Is Nick ready to go or what?" he huffed with an attitude.

 I scoffed, "What's gotten into you?" 

He rolled his eyes, "Like you'd care." 

I crossed my arms, "Alright, you two have been off lately - or so I've heard. What's up, Mav?" I was kinda pissed off by his attitude, but I was still concerned. Underneath all of the hurt, he was still my best friend - my ride-or-die, or at least he was. I want that back despite what he's done. 

"Why do you want to know?" he threw back. 

I sighed, letting my arms fall, "Look Pete don't turn this into a big issue... I'm just worried about you guys is all. Nick almost had a breakdown last night - you guys are family. And- I care about you, Pete. I always have. Deep down I know you know that." I looked down at my feet, messing with my hands - a distraction. 

I heard him sigh too, "Fine, look we kinda have been at each other's throats and - we're both super stressed. I make a lot of stupid-ass mistakes... But I'm sorry, you don't deserve my attitude. Or me in general. I'm a shit friend... And I miss you" He hides his eyes behind his aviators - a tactic he does when he's trying to evade his feelings. I tried to look into his eyes despite this, but he turned his head.

 I let out another sigh, a sad one this time, "Pete," I grabbed his arm, "Look at me please." He slowly and gently moved his arm away from mine as if he were - afraid to touch me. It clicked, of course, he was..., he doesn't trust himself with me.

 I felt my expression sadden as he finally looked toward me, "Don't look at me like that -" 

"Pete Mitchell shut your mouth for one second please," I sighed once again, "You're not a shit friend, Pete. You never were... A shit boyfriend maybe, but not a friend. You had a turn, Pete. Honestly, we both did." 

"Not as bad as I did, Hal. I - I can't even look you in the eyes anymore... I'm so sorry." His voice fell, and he looked down toward his shoes. 

"I know you are, and I am too. I'm sorry we didn't clear the air sooner, but I am not sorry for being your friend. I'm glad I met Pete Mitchell. You know that right?" I asked leaning against the door frame.