Night Twenty-Two

A/N: Same trigger warnings as the previous chapter - however less intense but they will be talked about and addressed in this part.

When I had found my sister, she was holding a sobbing Bradley to her chest. "Carole," I sighed in relief. I had finally found her.

"Hal, are you okay?!" She asked, ignoring whomever she was talking with before and walking over toward me.

"I'll manage, sissy how about you?" I took her face in my hands.

"I feel weird," she finally admits, "I know he's gone but it doesn't feel like it... yet it does feel like it"

Bradley looked up at his mom and then reached out for me to hold him. Carole smiled and gladly handed him over.

"Oh Hal, please reassure Tom that we know this wasn't his fault. I saw him earlier and the guys said he was freaking out a bit... and -" I cut her off.

"I will, he has - a bit of survivor guilt... I'm going to stay with him for the next few days to make sure he's alright. He offered for you guys to stay too. I don't think I can go back to the house, I have no clue how'd you do it" I sighed.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about that... I was thinking of staying at a little hotel by myself tonight. If Bradley is okay being away from me - I thought maybe he could go with you guys?" She folded her hands together in front of her. I knew she needed this but it was all up to Bradley.

The little guy turned in my arms looking behind me, "Uncle Ice" he cried, "I want hims"

I held him closer, "I guess we have our answer," I smiled at Carole.

She sighed in relief, "Thank you, Hal. I guess some things never change. You are always my hero." She hugged me tight. And then turned to Bradley, "Momma loves you, little guy. I'm going to go spend the night somewhere okay? I'll be safe. Momma just needs some time with her and maybe a few friends okay?"

Bradley nodded, "Of course momma" he tried to smile, but even though it faltered he was still such an understanding, selfless kid.

Carole kissed him on the cheek and then hugged me before wrapping her arms around herself and walking away.

Bradley squirmed to get out of my arms. I let him down, but he didn't run towards his mother. In fact, he ran toward the direction I had come from. I ran after him, scared he might get lost.

However, he had found just who he was looking for. Tears were streaming down his face as he ran into the group of pilots, "Uncle Ice" he cried as he attached himself to Tom's leg.

Tom immediately bend down and held our nephew in his arms, "What's wrong Bradley?" He asked. I looked around at all the other pilot faces. They looked shocked again by the softness Tom was showing with the child.

"I wants you" Bradley cried into his Uncle's shoulder.

"But Bradley, I. It's my fault that-" Tom tried to tell the boy.

But surprisingly Bradley yelled, "not your fault!"

Everyone was silent as Tom gently rocked the boy that was crying in the crook of his neck. Soon Bradley was asleep and Viper dismissed us to file paperwork. He had to get everything in order for court in the next few days to come.

I only hoped they ruled Tom out as a factor as soon as possible - it will let him heal a lot faster.

Once we got to Tom's place - Bradley was laid down on the bed seeing as he was still asleep.
Tom held me close to him, refusing to let go, "this just became a huge mess didn't it?"

I nodded, "but we will figure this out, together. Always will"

Tom nodded, "always"

We got dressed for bed and laid down. Bradley in the middle, Tom on the left, and I on the right.

Sure I had lost a brother-in-law, my sister lost a husband, my Snowman lost a wingman, and my best friend lost his best friend.

But Bradley lost a father... he was only four years old. He would now live most of his life without him and barely be able to remember his father's voice. How was a little boy supposed to grow up like that? What if he turns into Pete? Always chasing after his father in the sky pulling dangerous stunts that will most likely get him killed?

Before I fell asleep I whispered to Tom, "Bradley must not - EVER - be allowed to become a pilot or a backseater. Understand me?"

Tom nodded, " I agree." He then placed his hand on my cheek. Not only providing me comfort but holding Bradley securely in his arm as well.

With that we were asleep. Finally free of the pain and sorrow of the day... until the sun arose and we were all reminded that this wasn't just some horrible dream.