Night Twenty-Eight

After the day was done at the base, Tom and I drove over to Carole's helping to put the finishing touches on packing. 

I mentioned the offer Mike had made, "Hey, Viper said that.... he and the Navy would be willing to provide our family with a new home. I can give you his home number if you want to talk to him?" 

She said nothing but nodded. I wrote down the number on the notepad by the phone. Tom grabbed my hand as he loaded the last of my boxes in Nick's truck. We drove to the nearest storage unit. 

We had placed most of my things in the storage unit. I kept the truck on hand though, so I could make sure it stays in perfect condition for Bradley. 

Tom and I hadn't really talked since the ... well the lunch we had. I on the one hand had no idea how to bring this up without, sounding upset about it. And I'm sure he also didn't want to bring it up. 

Then on the drive home we had two cars, so we had to drive separately. 

So when we entered his apartment it was anything, but not awkward. We stood there simply looking at each other. 

He sat down on the bed, undoing the ties of his shoes. He sighed, "I - I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make things awkward. It's just..." He gave up and kicked his shoes off, falling back onto the bed. I could tell by the look in his eyes he was exhausted. The day had been already so stressful, but... Mike putting romantic pressures on him probably didn't help him either. 

I exhale, I pick up his shoes, and put them on the little rack he had by the door. I take off mine as well. I walk over to Tom and straddle his hips, moving up so I can kiss him and then lay on his chest. 

"It's okay - I was just caught by surprise is all" I breathe with a slight laugh. 

He does the same as his arm wraps around me, "Well..." 

"Well, what? Is it... is what you said true?" I ask him, a slightly tense feeling in my shoulders.

"Well, I am planning it, if that's okay with you?" He kissed the top of my head. 

I cuddled into him, "Yes that's okay with me... may I ask when this plan of yours is?" 

He laughed, "You're so impatient and bratty sometimes! I plan to ... propose...," he whispered it almost under his breath as if he were shocked he was saying those words, "before my next mission, so you know that I'll come home to marry you" He wrapped his other arm around me. 

I tear up, "You are so thoughtful, Thomas." I leaned up to kiss his cheek and then gave him a gentle peck on the lips. "I look forward to this. More than you could know." 

He sighed, "So you'd say Yes then? To me?" He asked. 

I smiled, "You won't know the answer to that unless you ask the question." 

He chuckled loudly, holding onto my hips now, "Oh I am anxious to know the answer, but I will still wait." 

I pinched my nose then, "Good because right now you mister need a shower!" I pointed with my other hand toward the bathroom. 

He laughed then as he stood up and playfully threw me on the bed, "Well wait right here because... I want to talk to you. It's been a while since I've just held you and we talked... Maybe, maybe, You know what Tomorrow night, just you and me. We can go have a picnic dinner on the beach as we watch the sunset. How about that? I can even get some of the good wine." He winked. 

I smiled wide and nodded, "I love the sound of that. Now go shower lover man, so we can cuddle and talk. I want to have those endless midnight conversation rambles. They're the best" I sighed with delight as he kissed my nose.