Day Sixteen

Warning: Metions of death, cancer.... I write lots of cringy fluff, then comes the angst and pain. So buckle in aviators - this is gonna be a wild one.

Thursday, July 24th, 1986 - Five Days...

I woke up that morning alone... which hurt a bit but it was alright. I had slept in a lot later than usual. It was already nine o'clock. I wonder why Carole hadn't woken me up yet.

I sat up and began making my bed, as I shook the comforter a note fell to the ground. I finished making the bed and read the note...

Hal, I love you very much. You were so peaceful while you slept I didn't have the heart to wake you up to say goodbye. I'll see you tonight though - Nick mentioned something about you watching Bradley tonight. He said he wanted to go to the beach - so I thought I'd meet you there. :) I miss you and I hope you have a wonderful day. - Your Snowman

p.s. I'll call you on my lunch break today!

A tear fell down my face, and I was happy I had slept in. That means I would get to talk to Tom a lot sooner than usual today.

I quickly got dressed and skipped out to the kitchen to get some breakfast. Carole was sitting at the table reading. The back door opened so she could watch Bradley playing out back in the yard.

"Good morning Sister of mine," She smiled at me, closing the book.

"Good morning Carole" I sat down next to her after grabbing some fruit from the Icebox.

"How'd you sleep?" She asked, picking some apple slices from the bowl of fruit I had.

"Oh, wonderful actually. Always sleep better when Tom's here." I mumbled and smiled as I ate a strawberry.

"Yeah - it's always so hard to sleep when Nick is gone... I don't know how it'll be when he's off and I have two little ones to take care of" She sighed.

I put my hand on her shoulder, "No need to worry Sis, I'm here. Always will be."

She rolled her eyes at me, "Oh, don't stay here on my account. Run away with your precious little - what was it you call him... oh yeah! Your precious little Snowman."

I smiled, "Sure I might run off with him someday - you never know with their job what will fly your way..." I paused while Carole laughed at my pun, then I continued, "But that will never stop me from supporting you and my nephew, and my little niece."

She grabbed my hand as her hormones made tears fall relentlessly from her face, "I love you so much, Hal. You're the best little sister anyone could ask for"

I smiled, "Thank you, and you're the best big sister ever Carole. Sure you're a bit crazy - but I love you for that."

We stood up and hugged just as Bradley ran through the door and tackled me with a hug as well.

"Good morning BB! Happy I love you!" I hugged him back.

"Happy I love you Auntie! Guess what!" He shouted at me as I picked him up and put him on my hip.

"What is it BB?" I asked

"Daddy said Uncle Ice should marry you! He said so this morning!" Bradley shouted. Ah so Nick continued the conversation this morning. Poor Tom, I knew he really didn't want to talk about it. Who knows what he is overthinking now?

"Oh and what did Uncle Ice say?" I asked while looking at my sister with a worried expression.

"He said one day he plans to! Does that mean he is my uncle for reals bows?" Bradley ran through the sentence so fast that he messed up a few words. Ugh, I felt bad he was getting better at speech recently hopefully this wasn't a setback for him.