Day Thirty-Nine

Tom's POV - 600 hours

I woke up that morning very sore but with a smile on my face. The invitation still held its spot above my head. The day after I return I will be married to the most gorgeous woman on the planet. 

"Come on, Ice." Slider groaned, "We have to oversee the repairs today." 

FUCK! I rubbed my hand across my eyes as I groaned. And there was my good mood ruined. 

I threw myself out of bed then. I had to force myself to put the bed together and get dressed properly before bunk inspection. Damn, I thought as we threw ourselves into lines - or the best we could with the sway of the boat -  I can't wait to be home in her arms. I wonder what she's doing now?  I smiled to myself, she was probably still sleeping. She didn't have me to wake her up at ungodly hours of the morning. 

Hal's POV - 10 am

I woke up with a bittersweet smile on my face.  I liked to sleep in, but I'd take Tom waking me up as early as he'd like any day over this week mission. I know a week isn't long for a deployment, but - when your partner is a fighter pilot... These missions are always dire, especially when they are short like this. It's risky. You're always left home biting your nails. I've seen Carole do this, and I did it myself when I was with Pete as well. 

I had no clue what I had to do today. More last minute planning I presume. I had went to bed early last night - while Carole, Audrey, and Marie all got their dresses hemmed by Gladys. Mark also got his own suit tailored by his mother. I did hear Glayds come into the room last night, after I had laid down. I think she wanted to see if Tom's dress whites were in there. She likes his clothes to be neat. She irons them while he is gone - Mark informed me of this too. She's sweet, and she worries. Maybe that's where Tom picked up of cleaning when he is worried. 

I wanted him to be home so much. I looked at the calendar next to our bedroom door. As Bradley would say, only two more sleeps until Uncle Ice is home. 

I smiled, my Snowman would be home soon. I can't wait to run into his arms as soon as he steps off of that god forsaken boat. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - -

After breakfast, Bradley and Jake wanted me to watch them as they played trucks in the backyard. Bradley didn't like trucks too much. However, he always wanted to play with Jake. So he would deal with it until Jake left. Then Bradley will groan, throwing himself onto the couch - imitating his father - and saying, 'Damn, it's been a long day!'. Which then would prompt Carole to nag him, making him sit in a timeout chair for the bad language. Although, I've heard him say worse. Would I admit that to Carole? No, no I would not. 

I watched them play for about an hour before I was tackled by the other women in the house... Which strangely had included Mrs.Metcalf. I wondered when she had arrived at the house. 

"Thank the lord she got a shower this morning!" Carole giggled. 

"Yes! Or else it would be hard to figure out how to do her hair!" Audrey replied. 

Ah! So that's what these freaks were doing. They were trying to figure out how to do my hair for the wedding. 

"I want it up." I huffed, crossing my arms. 

"No,"Carole said sterny, "You should wear it down." 

We got into a bit of an argument, then the boys came over. 

"You're supposed to watch our truck show!" Bradley pouted, "Not argue!" 

Jake put his arm around Bradley's shoulder, "Don't worries BradBrad, I fix it." He shoothed my nephew. "Look, Miss Ryan's hair should be ups. Cause of the buttons."