Night Eleven

Friday July 18th, 1986 - Six Pm

When we got home, Carole already had dinner on the table. It was a simply tomato soup and grilled cheese combo. It was delicious though! 

" How was everyone's day?" Carole asked as well all dug in. 

"Great Mommy!" Bradley exclaimed, "Auntie Hal and Uncle Ice DESTROYED Uncle Mavs and Daddy in volleyballs!" 

"Oh really now?" Carole questioned and laughed. 

"Well I wouldn't say completely destroyed" Nick blushed. 

"Well I would" Tom muttered. 

"Oh shut it, Ice" Nick laughed now. 

Carole and I looked at each other - yeah, this was something we both could get used to. 

"Uncle Ice is better at volleyball than you Daddy" Bradley said while he dipped a cracker in his soup. 

"Ugh," Nick sighed and then ruffled Bradley's hair, "If you say so bud" 

"I do!" The little tyke exclaimed. This made us all laugh. 

Soon we all finished dinner and went into the living room to begin a cute family game night. Tom had decided to stay over night - thankfully he brought a few changes of clothes in his bag for volleyball this evening. 

We began with playing Candy Land with Bradley. He would be going to bed soon, so we would want to make sure that he got to play some games before then. We were going to play battleship with him as well, but by the end of Candy Land he was exhausted. So Carole took him up to bed while we set up the game that would lead into the late hours of the night - RISK. 

When Carole came back down we all picked which countries we were starting with. We have a rule in this house - youngest always goes first. So I began with  Eastern Australia, easily the best to hold at the beginning of the game it has four quadrants and only one side to defend. It is perfect for spreading your empire across the entire board. 

Carole was next, and went with her usual choice South Africa. Nick obtained Alaska instantly - claiming it's ties to both the US and Russia made it the best option on the board. And Tom being surprisingly the eldest only by a year immediately began conquering South America. 

After a few rounds Nick was whipped clearly from the board - he really chose a bad place to start, he was exposed on all sides. Tom was quick to conquer the entire west side of the board. Carole was holding strong in Africa, while I held onto the entirety of Australia, Russia, China, and the rest of the Eastern side of the board. Tom and I immediately were able to take down Carole together. However, while he was distracted taking out Carole, I used the Eastern most section of Russia to wrap around and start attacking his troops from the other side. This gave me the advantage of having almost all of the west and east side of the board while Tom was simply stuck with the middle. It wasn't long before I had claimed the entire world for myself. 

The victory was short lived though, as we all began to yawn and put the game away. It was nearing midnight after all. We all made our way to our beds. 

However, as soon as my head was laid on Tom's chest a flip was switched in my head. (A/N: I know what you're thinking and no - comments stop it lol). I was no longer tired as my head began swirling in a mess of anxiety and uncertainness. I was meeting his parents - I looked at the clock it was already Saturday at this time - I was meeting his parents tomorrow. I - I have no clue what I'm wearing. Well, I have two options now - but which one? I have no clue. Would they like me? I know he doesn't care for his father - but still I want to impress both of  his parents. Obviously he holds his mother in high regard, what if she hates and resents me? Will that make him call the entire thing off? What about his brother? Will he judge us for how fast this relationship is moving? I - What if? My head just kept thinking and thinking. It wouldn't stop, even as the clock neared two am. 

I sighed and turned over to lay on my other side. Maybe if we just weren't touching or cuddling all the what if's would go away. 

I felt a hand be placed on my side, I jumped slightly as I was pulled out of my thoughts.

"You okay?" I heard Tom mumble. 

"Yeah - I just can't sleep is all" I yawned. 

"You seem pretty tired to me" He stated, "Come here" He mumbles, pulling me closer. I sighed before turning back over and looking up into his eyes. I saw him look deep into my eyes, as his swam in confusion, "Somethings bothering you - what is it?" 

I sighed, "Nothing, don't worry about it Snowman. I'm okay" I tried to pull off a smile and throw my worries away. 

"please tell me, I can't help if I don't know what's wrong Sweetheart" He leans his forehead against mine. 

I sighed and then scoffed at myself, "I'm just overthinking" 

He didn't get frustrated as he tried to understand. He simply asked "About what?" 

"I'm nervous - about meeting your family. What if I say something stupid? What if they don't like me?" I began biting my nails. I hated doing it, but it was a nervous tick of mine. It happened and most of the time I barley even noticed I did it. 

"Hey don't be nervous" He carefully pulled my hand away from my mouth, "Also I don't want you cracking your teeth by biting your nails. It's painful, I've done it. It's not fun. Also love," He pulled my face closer to his with his hands. Our lips were almost touching at this point, "Don't worry about that. My mother will absolutely adore you to pieces. My brother - he'll be a bit judgy at first but, he just is looking out for me. You two will become best friends I promise. He's like - well he's like my Carole. We are connected at the hip. My father - I could care less about his opinion. Although, you are literally so perfect Hal, I have no clue how anyone could ever hate you." He then gently kissed me. 

I seriously love this man - like why wouldn't other women want to be with him? Was he just not looking? Like Damn, Tom Kazansky you are amazing. 

"I love you, Snowman" I sighed as our lips disconnected, "I really do. Thank you" 

"Don't be afraid to wake me up if you need me, ever okay?" He asked, I nodded as he stated, "I love you too, so much" He kissed me again. Then he said, "We should get to bed, darling. I have a lot planned for us tomorrow." 

I smiled, "okay Snowman, Goodnight" He laid back on his back. I returned to how we usually slept, with my head on his chest. 

"Goodnight, Purple Rose" He rubbed circles into my back until I fell asleep peacefully.