Night Forty

Tom's POV  - 1700 hours (5 pm)

I hate the food they give us on the boat. We SMELL fish every day does that mean we have to EAT it too?! Maybe I shouldn't have gone Navy... gosh does the smell of fish get so annoying. 

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!" There was a horrid scream of excitement in the background. Maverick as usual. He's so damn annoying sometimes. I mean he saved my life in this mission though. I owe him a lot. So, I guess he's not as irritating anymore. 

I need off this boat. I can feel it... the anxiety, the the looming darkness. It's all coming back. Damn, I'm gonna need to finish that bottle of whiskey when I get home. Thank the lord it was free time. I know I told Hal I'd try to stop... but I can't quit cold turkey, not just yet. 

I pulled out a cigarette and made my way to the deck. I have to hide it at work too... You can't have an aviator with bad lungs after all. But, it was a bad habit I picked up. I'd get rid of it soon. Not like it's horrible for you... Right? 

I lit it up anyway and hid as I smoked one of the last cigarettes I had managed to sneak on board. (Which was a total of ... maybe four or five. So not bad for a week. Not bad at all.  

Hey, I smiled looking at the sky, It's going to be clear tonight. I can begin to see the moon and the stars!

Hal's Pov - 5 pm

I made everyone dinner tonight. TACOS! Bradley adored Tacos. Jake didn't like them as much... If at all, but the boys like to make one another happy. So Jake pretended to like Tacos. I did tell Jake in secret that if he ate at least two tiny tacos I'd let him have a yogurt or granola after dinner. This seemed to motivate him quite well. I've got the tactics, what can I say? 

There wasn't much left to do around the house now, or even for the wedding. I mean, I still had to work out a few small details... Well, maybe one small detail. Or maybe one really big and important one that has me absolutely bubbling with anxiety. 

Who's going to walk me down the aisle? 

"Hal, darling. The dress is finished, alterations and all. I wanted to know if you wanted to see the end result. I finished the lacing on the back. I've been making it for years, to be honest with you. I was hoping one of my boys would get married sooner or later. Please would you try it just one more time?" She gave me wide puppy dog eyes. 

"Holy shit," I said in disbelief, "I can see where Time gets his pouty puppy eyes from... My gosh!" I laughed at the end. 

Glayds nodded, "Yes, he sure does get that from me." 

I pointed to the stairs, "Yes I will try it on one last time before the big day. You lead the way." 

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - 

I sobbed. I cried. There were no pins, needles, or clips holding the dress together. It was... My wedding dress. 

I sobbed as I sat down, holding my head in my hands. 

"Oh my dear, do you not like it?" Gladys sat beside me, trying to comfort me. 

"I love it!" I exclaimed, "I just wish my mom was here to see it, that's all" I tried taking deep breaths to calm me down. "I lost her when I was younger. But I never... I never thought this would affect me as much as it did." 

She rubbed my back in soothing circles, "She's looking down on you. I promise she is. I know she is proud too. I never had a daughter, but If you were to be mine. I think I would be so overwhelmed because of how proud I was of you." I hugged her close. 

"Thank you... for everything" I told her. "can I" I paused to catch my breath and wipe the tears away. " Can I go show Carole the final product?" She nodded. 

I opneded Glayds' door and went to Carole's room. 

"So sister of mine, what do we think." I put my hair up so she could see the back as well. I heard the book she was reading drop to the floor as she raced over to me. 

"OH HAL, THIS IS GORGEOUS!" She ran her hands down the lacing and buttons. "Oh, your hair definitely needs to be up to show this off. Man, I think Tom might have to adjust his pants when he sees this." 

I gasped and turned red, "Carole your son is right there in his bed!" 

Bradley sighed, "Momma's weird Auntie. I thoughts yous knews this" 

I could have ripped a seam from laughing at that. Carole blushed and swatted at me. It was easily dodged. 

"Oh let me see this dress some more!" Carole gushed, trying to move on from the topic. 

A/N: Ignore the shoulder's part which obviously doesn't go along with the other picture I posted of Hal's dress

A/N: Ignore the shoulder's part which obviously doesn't go along with the other picture I posted of Hal's dress. But the detailing on the sleeves and the back is what's most important. PS - it is spelled "Hal" officially. But sometimes my Mac hates me and puts "Hale" instead. I'm working on fixing this in the edits I will be making after the completion of the book. 

"This is simply stunning, Hal. You look so much like mom." Carole had tears in her eyes as she hugged me. 

THAT'S IT! I hugged Carole tightly, "Sissy, I know you already have a big part to play but... Can you walk me down the aisle too?" 

Carole nodded into my hug, I could feel her tears, "Oh hunny, I'd love to." 

I talked with my sister and nephew for a little while longer. Then I returned the dress to Gladys before heading to bed. 

Tomorrow I'd wake up. Tom will be home before I know it. I miss him so much. I love him endlessly. My love for him truly knows no bounds.