*imagine: not apart of the story*

A/N: This is just a little blurb for the Fourth of July. It's a simple imagine since sadly the story's timeline doesn't exactly line up with the Fourth of July itself. So I will be writing this little snippet for you all and this will give you a little hint as to what you guys can expect in the sequel to this story... The title is still in the works as of now. Enjoy!

Setting: The Kazansky Household! Pool party with the kids for the Fourth of July cookout. They all were thankfully stateside and had at least the day off. 

Characters Featured: Iceman, Hal, Maverick, Rooster, Mercedes, Jack, The OG Mrs. Kazansky, and Mark. (AND OTHER PILOTS! STAY TUNED!)

Warnings: Mentions of Cancer and Death - briefly. Damn, there's also some spoilers if you read in between the lines. Brief mentions of attempted Suicide - very brief just hinted at in one line. 

July 4th - 7 am -> Tom's POV

I swear to the ever-loving lord if she comes over here with another plate of meat. I'm gonna lose it. I flipped a burger on the grill, rotating the hot dogs on the top rack. We weren't even having guests until eleven! But here I am cooking the meat awhile - or at least some of it. The guys were doing some Fourth of July fly-by on the tower boss. Oh, the email I'd have to write later today - was already giving me a headache just thinking about it. 

I felt slender arms wrap around me, and I groaned internally. I felt myself relax though as I saw there were no more meat trays in her hands or sat down within arms reach of the grill. Oh, thank GOD!

I heard my loving wife laugh, "Oh you - no there's no more meat you have to cook, for now. However, I do need you to pick out my outfit. I can't choose what to wear!" She groaned. I felt her pout behind me. 

Although we were steadily climbing up the ladder in age - and after my first cancer scare - we still act as though we were those young wild twenty-some-year-olds. 

In all honesty - internally I really was grateful. I had so much to be grateful for this year. Sure - It's harder to speak now, but not painful, vocal chords actually don't have nerve endings so it's actually the tissue around them that's in pain. Despite that, I was happy. As long as I got to wake up to see her eyes every day - I'd be the happiest man alive. I'd cook all the meat for a BBQ if it meant I got to be with her forever. 

It's all just a reminder that I am still alive... Which is something I am very thankful for. 

I simply rolled my eyes as I continued to cook, "You always look wonderful dear" I croaked. Glad I can still talk - not glad I sound like a frog. 

"Oh you -" she blushed. I shut the lid to the grill and turned around to wrap my arms around her. She rested her hands on my chest - inspecting my throat and other surgical scars from the last few years, "Don't exhaust yourself too much Snowman." 

I shook my head, "I won't Rose. And it's true - you always look breath taking" I looked her up and down as I gasped through the hole in my throat. "See?" I replied after. 

She shook her head with a disappointed giggle, "You - prefer me in no clothing I know that. But I need an outfit so pick. The white shirt and jean shorts - or the red shirt with the same shorts - or the jeans/capris with the white tank top?" I heard the sliding door open. 

I pretend to think - although I already knew the answer I'd say. "White tank top - jean shorts. They make your ass look stunning." 

I turned to hear a scoff. "You two need to tone it down, You guys are so - icky" My son gagged.