Day Twenty-One

A/N: This part will be - intense to say the least. It is important to the plot so I do not recommend skipping over it. However, this is the official trigger warning.

Tuesday, July 29th, 1986 - Today...

I woke up this morning, that's it. Yes, that's it. It was the same as usual. Well in hindsight not really.

I woke up way earlier than usual - which was surprising since I went to bed so late last night.

I decided to get some water and maybe go back to bed. It was only four in the morning after all...

I stretched getting up out of my bed. I walked to the kitchen grabbing a glass of water. That's when I noticed a certain flight suit sitting on the back porch.

I sat down next to Nick as he looked up at the stars that were slowly fading as the sky began to turn a lovely light blue.

"Can't sleep?" I asked, sipping the water.

"I haven't slept since I put you to bed a few hours ago... I feel off" He sighed.

I yawned and then drank more before replying, "I'm sure it's just your nerves. You're exhausted and graduation is just around the corner."

He nodded, "Yeah you're probably right. I just - don't feel good. Maybe I call off tomorrow? Or well Today?"

"Nick - it'll be okay. Here, you can have the rest of my water. Go get some sleep, and I'll wake you up when Pete gets here." I handed him the rest of my water and he immediately chugged it.

He nodded, "You're right Hal. I'll uhm be sleeping on the couch. Thank you." He stood up and went inside. I followed him. He looked as though he were in a trance.

I watched from the kitchen as Nick laid down on the couch. I would watch him until he had to get up. I owed him that.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When Pete arrived I already had breakfast laying out for them. I gently woke Nick. Who again got up as if he were in a trance? He moved to the table and ate in silence.

Pete motioned to me as if to ask what was wrong with Nick. I simply shrugged and ate with them at the table.

It was quiet and I yawned. Then the phone rang.

Nick got up to answer it, "Hello Nick Bradshaw". He paused and then handed the phone out to me, "For you sis".

I got up and grabbed the phone, "Hello, Hale Ryan?"

"Why hello sweetest" Tom sighed into the phone, "Good morning"

I smiled, "Good Morning Snowman. For what do I owe this good morning call?"

I heard his little smirk in the receiver, "Nothing, just felt like I needed to hear your voice. I feel off today" he yawned.

I sighed crossing my arms over my chest, "Maybe a cold is going around the class? Nick said he wasn't feeling well either."

"Really? I mean that wouldn't be unheard of - I just have a weird feeling that's all" I heard him blow off how he was feeling.

"Just be careful Tommy" I sighed.

"Of course, I have to go - Slider is here to pick me up for the day. Just wanted to say Good morning and I love you." Tom smiled once again.

"I love you too, Snowman." I rolled my eyes as I hung up the phone.