Night Thirty-Nine

A/N: Hello loves... this is a special surprise for you all today.

Tom's POV:

"ugggggggghhhhhhh," I groaned. We had just gotten done with the mission. We were on standby. We will do a few flight tests until we know the area is clear. Then we will head back home. Slider and I are to NOT do these few flights. We had a lot of damage to ourselves and our plane occur during this mission. We had a lot of character development too. 

After the adrenaline of the mission wore off, I had my ass immediately in medical. It was major bruising, but nothing worse. Moving felt, atrocious. But I wanted everything to be perfect for the wedding... 

Hal... I miss her endlessly. I never understood what the married men meant. I do now though. God this job sucks, but I love it so much. 

"Kazansky, they want you to report for mail," Maverick chimes in. 

"Fuck, alright" I groaned. The plane had been dented from bullets in the side. So the right side of my body was on fire. It was as if I was a kid again, trying to sit up after absolutely DESTROYING the fitness record of situps. 

I hobbled outside to get the mail delivery from the base. It doesn't happen often for these shorter deployments, but if you're close enough then they do. We lucked out I guess. 

I lined up next to Slider, who gently assisted my standing. It wasn't noticeable enough that I would get bullied by the guys, but it was just enough. Slider is my brother - always has been, always will be. 

It was Charlie who was delivering the mail today. Everyone from our class seemed to be receiving something. She smiled as she handed me a small box and a letter that said 'To my Groom <3' 

I was able to stand on my own then, with a smile from ear to ear. I had gotten something from Hal. My dear, my fiance, my wife. Gosh, I felt so giddy. Which is a weird feeling. Guys are not supposed to feel giddy. We are supposed to be tough, a force to be wrecked with. But with her, it's like I'm allowed to be all the things society says I cannot be. I am allowed to be with her. 

We were dismissed then, and I made my way - not back to medical but, to my bunk. I sat down, thankfully I had the bottom. I opened the card first. 

I smiled as a tear slipped down my face, it was our wedding invitations. It was really happening... Holy Shit. 

"Congratulations man, can't wait to go," Wolfman patted me on the shoulder as he walked by. 

"Oh hell ya!" Someone shouted I assumed it to be Hollywood, but I was correct, "Gonna party the night away Kazansky!" 

There were many other congratulations in order. But I tuned them out as I opened the box. 

It was amazing! I put it on almost instantly

"Shouldn't you be the one buying her gifts, Kazansky" Merlin teased. 

"Oh shut up," We all didn't like Merlin that much. It was nothing against him, it's just... We wanted it to be Nick here with us. Not him, just, not Merlin. We wanted Goose. 

We all wanted Goose back. 

I put the invitation through the rungs of the bed above me, sliders. It was right above my head when I lay down. That way I would be able to see it before I fall asleep, and it would be the first thing I saw when I woke up. 

We all began to take turns in the shower. I was the last one. I dressed in some lighter clothes to sleep in. 

'I wonder what Hale is doing right now? Is she alright? Does she cry at night? Does she sleep in my clothes, on my side of the bed? Is she okay? I miss her a lot.' I thought. 

But for the first time, ever in a mission or life in general, I thought, 'I can't wait to go home.'

And eventually, as I lay down in my bunk, the lulling rhythm of the waves sent me right to sleep.