Day Thirteen

Monday July 21st, 1986 - Eight Days 

That next morning was torture... Carole wouldn't shut up! She was constantly asking questions about my weekend with Tom. It was nice for her to ask, and I was glad to have a sister who cared so much. Although, after about question three hundred, I wanted to scream. 

She asked what color shirt he wore, what exact words his mother and brother said to me. She wanted to know where the sun was in the sky. I felt like I was answering one of those insane and never ending math problems in school. It was so complex everything she asked. She even got angry when I left out some details - how was I supposed to remember them though? I was so nervous and just trying to enjoy my time with them while they were here. 

Eventually she got tired of my answers and let me go about my day. I started off by doing my chores at the house - before going on a grocery run for the week. 

I was in the produce isle when I heard a familiar voice call out to me, "Ah, Ms. Hal Ryan! Funny running into you here!" Mike Metcalf called. 

"Oh, hello Commander. How are you today? Having more car troubles?" I asked as he and a woman who I assumed to be his wife approached. 

"No, no not this time Ms. Ryan. I'd like you to meet my wife, Linda. Linda hun, this is the woman who drove me to work the other day. Bradshaw's sister-in-law" He introduced me to his wife. 

She was such a chipper woman, I wonder how she did it. She must be worried about his safety constantly. 

"Oh, Nice to meet you Ms. Ryan! You know you should come over for dinner tonight! I just love to cook, and I would love to thank you for helping Mike out the other day" She smiled at me as she reached out her hand to shake mine. 

I reached out and shook her hand, "That would be wonderful, although, allowing me to see my pilot and my nephew to see his father was all I could as for as repayment." 

"Your pilot?" She questioned as I let go of her hand. 

Mike chuckled from beside his wife, "This is Kazansky's girl. The one he keeps sneaking into his quarters. He's a good man though, I won't get him in trouble." 

I blushed at this - I hadn't realized we'd been caught. Although Viper seems like an 'all-kowning' type person at Top Gun. I nodded at his statement. 

"Well then, a lucky woman" She winked at me which only made me blush more and Mike scoff in a fake playful way, "Oh hush Mike - he's a fine catch Hal. Anyway, I'd still enjoy your presence at dinner, at six. I'll write down the address for you." She pulled out her purse and started to write her address on the back of a receipt. 

Mike gave me a look that said, 'Don't even try to get out of it. There's no hope, just come.'

I just nodded and thanked her as she walked away - I also promised to attend dinner that night. What mess did I just get myself into? Also how many people know about Tom and I? Obviously the other pilots know... Did they go around base saying it? 

I thought so much on this on the drive home, I had forgot I was even driving until I arrived home. 

I then began mindlessly putting the groceries away. It was about four o'clock now, so I had about two hours to waste before dinner - although I still had to get ready. 

Before I knew it the phone began to ring, "Hello, Bradshaw Residence?" I answered. 

"Hello Rose," I heard Tom say. The background was quiet, all I could assume was that he was at his room now. Seeing as there were no teasing pilots in the background. 

"Hello Snowman" I smiled and leaned against the wall, twirling the cord around my fingers, "How was your day?" 

"Oh, it was alright. I arrived to a note from Commander Metcalf on my door. Do you happen to know why I was invited to dinner tonight?" He asked. 

I went quiet and only answered when he called my name. "Well, about that. I basically just ran into him and his wife at the store. He mentioned I was your girlfriend to his wife and I drove him to work that one day. SO, then she demanded that I come to dinner and it seems she's done the same with you." I laugh. 

"Ah," He breathes, "that makes much sense. What do you plan on wearing to dinner? I'll try to match." He laughs. 

"Uhm" I thought seriously, "Ill probably wear a black sweater, with my black leather jacket. Some jeans and my black and white saddle shoes." 

"Oh, sounds raivishig." He suggested. 

I gasped, "Thomas Kazansky! How crude!" 

"Oh please, I can do worse!" He laughed. 

"I'll remember you said that" I chuckled. 

"Do you want me to pick you up?" He asked getting back on topic. 

"That would be wonderful" I answered truthfully, "You've been driving me around a lot though, I feel bad." 

"Nonsense, you're a princess! Most importantly your MY princess. So get used to it. I'll see you at five -thirty?" He asked. 

"Thomas I love you so much, please know that. And yes that time works perfectly" I answered with a smile that lingered so long it began to hurt. 

"I love you too Hal, and I'll see you in half and hour then." He smirked. 

"Okay, goodbye Snowman" I answered. 

"See you later Rose" The phone clicked as her hung up 

I quickly went to get dressed, do my hair, and my makeup as I waited for Tom to arrive. Since I had some extra time after getting ready, I was quick to put on some jewelry.