Night Twenty-Five

A/N: Brief mentions of the crash will be in this chapter - however I am trying to give you guys some fluff I promise! Enjoy Aviators!

August 1st, 1986 - 5 pm. 

My sister had arrived about an hour ago. She had helped me prep a LOT of pasta and honestly a LOT of the entire dinner. She even brought over ingredients to make garlic cheddar biscuits! It was a recipe our mother had used all the time. It was nice for her to do. We also decided to run to the store to get more - since we would be having dinner outside, we figured any servicemen who happened to walk by would be given a plate to eat. They all worked so very hard for it. 

Now that it was five, we started to bring all the food down to the group of picnic tables out front of the apartment complex. We set up some table covers and broke out the paper plates and plastic silverware. A statement if I say so myself, although I can't help but think of all the trouble all this plastic would give us in the future...

Tom's mother had called earlier saying they'd be here around five-thirty tonight. They had hit some traffic. I told them we had a nice dinner waiting for them. Carole had also gotten cups and a bunch of drinks from the store. Gotta love that girl! 

A lot of the men on base came walking by about five fifteen. That of course led to an argument between Bradley and Pete. Carole handed Pete a plate of spaghetti with a glass of lemonade. She smiled at him and told him it would all be alright. 

Bradley had run up and kicked him - well, let's just say below the belt. 

I instantly grabbed his arm and pulled him to the other side of the tabled picnic area, "Bradley Nicolas Bradshaw! You are not to do that again, do you hear?!" I lectured him. 

"But he - Auntie, Daddy!" He tried to explain. 

I squatted down to his level, "No Bradley, he didn't do anything wrong. You stop this nonsense right now. That is your Uncle Mav and you will behave. I understand you're upset. You have every right to be okay. But you lost your father, do you want to lose your Uncle Maverick too?" 

He sighed, "No I don't. Sorry, I love you Auntie. It's just - he makes me mad!" Bradley stomped. 

I sighed now as well, "Bradley - remember the conversation we had earlier this month when you found out Uncle Mav hurt me?" He nodded his little head while still looking at his feet, "He made me very mad because he hurt me - you don't see me yelling and hitting him do you?" 

"No," He cried. 

"So then why would you do that? You're a nice boy, Bradley, don't make me have to say otherwise." 

"I'm sorry Auntie" He sobbed. He tried to hug me but I didn't let him. He has to learn that he can't just cry and not get in trouble. 

"Nope, I'm not the one to apologize to Bradshaw. Go apologize to your Uncle this instant Bradley" I crossed my arms. He sighed and began to walk over to Pete. He stopped though. 

I gave in and went to hold his hand to walk him over, "It's going to be alright Bradley, I love you" I told him as I led him over to his mother and Pete. 

I picked Bradley up and rested him against my hip, "What do you have to say to your Uncle Bradley?" 

Bradley hid in my shoulder. Pete also gave in. What can I say? Bradley is the sweetest boy. Pete put his plate down and took Bradley from my arms. "What is it, buddy?" He asked. 

He looked at Pete with tears streaming down his face, "I'm sorry for - hurt - hurtering you Uncle Petey" He sobbed. 

Pete held Bradley close, resting his head on his shoulder, "Baby Bradley it's okay. I know you're upset. Just don't kick me there is all I ask" He chuckled.