Night Thirty-Eight

If you had told me 37 days ago, that I'd be in a new house... living with my fiancé, my sister, my nephew, my future mother-in-law, as well as my now only brother-in-law. I wouldn't have believed you.  

I also wouldn't have believed you, if you said, that I would be trying on my wedding dress for the first time...

and Nick wouldn't be here to see it. He always told me, "I want to see it before everyone else! I've never had a sister before!" It's like I can hear him saying it now. 

Gladys had a huge mirror, she said it was from her early days of marriage. She had wanted to start a wedding gown shop, but never got the chance. This was her only semblance of that dream she had left. 

I was facing away from said mirror as Gladys buttoned up the dress. It had those gorgeous white buttons that started at the top and went all the way down. I wonder if she knew that Tom liked buttons? 

Carole, Audrey, and Marie sat on Gladys' bed, gawking. There was no way I looked that stunning... I'm not very attractive. How I got Tom, I'll never know. 

Tom 

Tom 

Tom 

Tommy 

I miss him so much. 

I looked into Carole's eyes. She hides things well, for the most part. And her jaw was on the floor, so it must have looked beautiful. I don't doubt Glayds' handiwork - just my beauty. 

"Well, my dear. You're all buttoned up. Let me finish he look..." She added a few more things and adjustments as I stood there. 

"And turn around my dear." She smiled. I didn't want to break the dress, so I was careful as I turned around. 

My own jaw hit the floor then. 

It was perfect, and it was stunning

"OH MY GOODNESS!" I spun around and gave Gladys a tight hug, "EEEKKKK I love it so so so much! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!" I did little mini hops and I happy danced. Carole said that I did this a lot as a child. 

"Don't thank me yet child. Let me make some adjustments, and we can figure out the rest tomorrow." She smiled and kissed my cheek, "But I'm thrilled that you love it as much as you do. You know, if you do not like it you are allowed to say so." 

Carole butted in then, "Oh no, she adores it! She even did her happy dance!" 

This made everyone giggle. 

Gladys went all Mom mode on us then, "Alright girls, out while Hal gets changed. Then off to bed." 

They all exited and acted like teenagers, it was funny. 

Now it was merely just Gladys and I. 

"I know you finished Tom's whiskey... He will be wanting to finish the bottle when he gets back. This is the first mission he's been on since you two have been together. Just so you know. He drinks one glass before he leaves, and leaves half a pack of cigarettes. It's part of his tradition. Mark said he did it, but I noticed how hungover you were. DOn't worry, I didn't tell anyone. I just bought a new bottle, and had a glass from it." She informed me as she undid the buttons.

I blushed from embarrassment, "I am sorry. I wish you did not have to see me like that... It is not how I usually behave. I am... I am very worried. I wish... I can't wait until he gets promoted enough to be in the office most of the time. I know a bad thing to say... But, then he will be safe. Not as happy as he usually is flying, but safe. And thank you for telling me this. I am glad to know it. I forgot he smoked..." I hummed at the end. 

She put her hands on my shoulders, "It is alright to be worried, and... Secretly I can't wait for him to get that office job either. No worries dear girl, I will help you however I can. You're like the daughter I never had." I hugged her then as I let the dress gently slide off my body, careful not to rip anything as a few things were still only pinned together - so she could make the necessary changes. 

"I miss my mom, but the universe gave me you to replace that hole in my life. Both Carole and I are very thankful for you. I know Bradley is too. He loves his Grammy K." I called her the nickname that Bradley began a few days ago. 

"I will always be here to support you and everything you do. Thank you for getting my son and I out of that house. AND thank you for loving my Tommy boy. He's been, alone for a very long time. He was always, distant, and sad. I worried for him. So I had called Slider to take him out for family weekend. Since, his father forbid us from going. I'm glad Ron did that. Because my boy met you - and now he is the happiest I ever seen him. And bologna sandwiches made him very happy as a child. So that is saying something." She gave a joke to break up the tension from the intense conversation. 

I broke out into a hearty laugh then, "Ah, we'll make him one for when he gets back. I bet he'll enjoy that. I'm sorry you could not attend family weekend, but I am happy you did not. Then I, I wouldn't have met Tom the way I did. And this might have never happened. Thank you." I smiled, tears welling in my eyes. 

"You are very welcome, now go take a nice hot shower, get in some comfy pjs. And get some rest. Tomorrow is a new day. And tomorrow is one day closer to the wedding, one day closer to when Tom gets home." She smiled, hanging up the dress once more. 

I smiled, putting my loungewear back on. "Goodnight Gladys." I opened her bedroom door to head into the hallway, and to the upstairs bathroom. 

"Hal, you can call me mom." She smiled. 

My face lit up, with the joy I often seen on Bradley's face. the joy of a child on Christmas, "Goodnight Mom" 

She recognized the look on my face and tears welled in her eyes too, "Goodnight Daughter of mine" 

I closed the door and sobbed tears of joy as I stepped into the hot steam of the shower.

I sighed to myself as I dressed in Tom's clothes. 

I laid in the bed, on his side and pulled the covers up to my chin. 

I closed my eyes, and thought to myself... 

Four Days Until Tom gets home. Four days until I can see him. 

Five Days Until the Wedding. 

Five Days Until I become Mrs. Kazansky.