Day Twenty-Nine

Wednesday, August 6th, 1986 - 6 am...

I yawned and woke up that next morning... 

Tom was sitting at the edge of the bed, tying his shoes.  I yawned and sat up, holding the sheet to my chest. I leaned on my arm, " Mornin'" I rubbed my eyes with my other hand. 

He put his foot back down and turned toward me with a smile. He leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead, "Good morning Hal, how was your sleep?" He moved a piece of hair behind my ear. 

I hummed, keeping my eyes closed, "I slept well, how about you?" I opened my eyes and looked into his. 

He smiled and gently kissed my lips, "Wonderful," He sighed then, looking into my eyes, "I must leave though. Work starts soon" He pouted. 

I sat up fully and put my arms around his neck. I also pouted, "...Okay" 

He kissed me once more, "I know, I will see you this afternoon though. And we can do something together, whatever you want. Maybe the beach?" He mumbles and throws out solutions. 

I smiled at him, "We'll figure it out. Go to work, my love. And - please, be safe" I sighed, I always worried for him now, after Nick. 

He held me in a tight hug, "Don't worry about me" He breathed on my neck, "I'll be careful. Your man is the best of the best after all" I couldn't see it but I could HEAR that little smirk on his face. 

I rolled my eyes and playfully pushed him away, "Alright get to work then Mr.Penguin" I laughed, standing up and stretching. 

Tom stood up as well and whistled, holding me to him. "Woah, maybe I can ... stay awhile" He cocked his eyebrow. Mind you I was still... bare from our adventures the night before. 

I roll my eyes, "Oh you, shush it and go to work." I kiss him once more, "I love you, have a good day, now go" I giggle. 

He held me tight for a minute longer, kissed my forehead, and headed toward the door, "I love you too" He laughed and shook his head as he shut the door behind him. 

I sighed and stretched. I went to the shower with a smile. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When I got out of the shower, I made myself some food. It was all in all a pretty boring day. Well, that is until my sister called. 

The phone rang and I answered it on the third ring, "Hello, this is Hal Ryan" I began 

"Hey sis, how was your date night?" Carole squealed. 

I sighed with a smile, leaning up against the wall, "It was amazing... and you'll never guess what!" I squealed in return. Carole knows I don't squeal much, so she knew this was something simply crazy. 

"WHAT?!" She almost broke my ear through the phone. 

I took a deep breath, "He showed me my ring last night" I let out. 

The other end of the phone was silent for a while before Carole took a deep breath, "He showed you it... and.... come on girly I need more details!" 

I sighed, "Well, Viper made a joke about us two possibly getting married." 

"right," she interjected. 

I continued, "And Tom and I talked about that. We said it wasn't too soon, in our eyes - but we would wait to get engaged or anything until his next mission. Which Viper told him would be, soon after Top Gun's graduation."