Night Forty-One

Tom's POV - 1800 hours 

Well, today was an utter shit show. Slider had, yes as I should have predicted, forgot to wake me up. So guess who had to suffer the consequences at the noon roll call? Yes, that's correct. Me! I had to suffer! I'll be sure to trip Ron when he's not looking. He's a damn jerk sometimes. 

"I hate you," I grumbled as I slammed my food tray down next to Slider's at the table. 

"Ah, there's our Iceman, back to his grumpy self." Slider laughed. 

I looked him dead in the eye, "I've never been late to roll once in my entire career. If this comes back to haunt me when I'm up for Commander, I will personally see to it that you are grounded. Understand?" 

"Woah, Ice chill." Slider joked. Which made everyone laugh. I gave a slight chuckle too, that was quite a good pun from my name that I hadn't heard in a while. 

"No seriously man," I chuckled through and began to eat my food. Grule... I missed Hal's food. My mom's food. Damn it, I want to be home. 

I must have looked down on my features. Which was weird, I'm usually well... Ice Cold as my fellow pilots would say. "Hey man," Ron patted me on the back, "We'll be home tomorrow. Geez remember when you'd hate going home after a mission? You used to love it out here." 

I chuckled, "Yeah, I used to." I didn't eat anymore. I just sat there talking with the crew, and for once I even hung out in the lounge - a cup of coffee in hand. I also played some poker - won every hand. As I do.

Gosh, I wonder if Hal knows just how cocky I am. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - 

Hal's POV - 6 pm 

Bradley had slept all the way home. He woke up when the rumbling of the truck stopped - I had shut off the engine. From there he slimed out of the passenger seat and went directly inside to find his mother. He wanted to be held he was explaining as I walked into the door. He was crying, he said he would miss Jack. That he didn't want to say goodbye forever. 

Carole kissed his forehead, "It's not forever my love. Just a goodbye for now. You two will meet again. I promise." Carole motioned to me with her head that she was taking Bradley upstairs. 

So now a few hours after returning home, Bradley was out back playing while Carole and I worked out the last few wedding details. She would ask me the remaining questions while I cooked dinner. 

We had gotten through questions just as the timer went off to pull dinner out of the oven. 

"So, did he tell you anything about the honeymoon?" she asked bouncing her eyebrows a little. 

"No... I only know that he has it all planned out. He likes his plans to go perfectly. He said to trust him with all the details. All he gave me was a list of things to pack... Which is quite unusual I will say." I laughed. I began to serve up plates for everyone in the household. Carole got out some cups. 

"Oh, interesting. So how does it feel? He will be home soon - tomorrow morning. Then you two will get married! Oh if only Mom and Dad could see us know." She mused. 

"They wonder how much they messed up that their daughter's both fell for pilots." I teased. We then began carrying the food to the dining room. We all decided to eat together tonight, as one big happy family. 

"Mom would shake her head with a dissatisfied chuckle." Carole implied one of mom's possible reactions. This was something our mother did quite often.