Night thirty-seven

Warning: sensitive topics ahead... writing is my form of art and emotional release. Thank you for reading. only 38 more parts before the end of this novel. 

There's always something... about the sun and the moon. 

During the day, everything seems easier. To push down and forget... 

Then when the moon comes out, the timid light in the darkness... everything seems more real, frightening... 

It's quiet and surreal... as people around the country go to sleep... Except for me and maybe a few others. Who are staying up drinking, and letting the what-if's swarm their thoughts. 

How else are we supposed to silence the words in our heads, if it's not by consuming alcohol until we pass out? 

I know it's not good

I know it's not healthy

I know it's not the right thing to do. 

Just like I know I can't complain to my sister anymore. 

Why bring up all my what ifs... to her? A person whose what ifs came true. 

That would be a bitch move on my part. 

No, instead I'll sit here on the back patio. Letting the silent tears stain my face and the bottle slowly reach empty. 

I wanted nothing more but to fall into a coma... only to wake when my love returned home. How do others do this? 

They don't. 

That's the answer. 

They pretend just as I do. Happy during the day... functioning alcoholic by night. 

Justice for Gotham type shit. 

I wondered how long it would take for me to finish this bottle. 

Well, let's just say I didn't have to wonder long. 

It was finished in about an hour and a half... and the sucker was brand new. 

I wondered just how much government money went to liquor stores in the United States... 

A FUCK ton is what my drunk mind decided. 

I could barely keep my eyes open now. 

I had dropped my glass on the patio deck... and it shattered to pieces. 

"Fuck," I muttered. 

The back door opened. 

"Hale, what are you doing?" It was Mark. I thought he went out with Melissa tonight? He wasn't back yet was he? 

"None," I burped, "of your business." 

"Damn," he muttered, "My brother would kill me if I left you out here." 

"He'll kill me, not you." I replied. 

"Ha, yeah right. Come here" He picked me up, and carried me inside. I tried my hardest not to throw up from the sway of his walk. He went up the stairs and tucked me into bed. 

"I moved the trash can to the side of the bed, incase you need it. I'm not gonna lecture you about it. Just, don't give yourself alcohol poisoning, okay? Tom would kill me." Mark gave out a soft but worried laugh. 

I gave out a light chuckle, "Yeah he would... can we keep this our little secret Mark?" 

He nodded, "Of course, get some sleep." 

"Thank you" I murmured before I passed out... tucked into Tom's side of the bed.