Night Twenty

Sunday, July 27th, 1986 - 5 pm

It was about five now. Carole and Nick left a little while ago for a dinner date. Turns out they didn't know when I'd be back so they asked Pete to watch Bradley too, just in case I wouldn't be home until late. 

So now I was finishing up dinner in the kitchen, while Pete and Bradley built a fort for them to camp out in tonight. 

I set the table and dished out the food before calling the boys into the kitchen. 

They sat and ate for a while. I decided to grab the phone and take it as far away from the two as I could. Which ended up being a little way down the hallway. 

I called Marie to check in on Jack. She answered quickly - so that means she was at least home. 

"Hello, Hemingsworth residence?" She answered in a rush. 

"Hey, its Hal Ryan. I was just wanting to call and check in on you guys. I understand if you're a bit busy at the moment. I can call later." I tried to put on a smile and be understanding to them. 

She sighed, "Well, I have a little time..." She debated before continuing, "We decided to bring Jack home. He's not happy there whatsoever. The Doctor gives him about a month if we take him out - three if we leave him in. We'd rather he be happy in his last few days than completely miserable." 

I sighed, "Yeah I understand where you guys are coming from. Let me know when you guys get him home, and I can bring Bradley over during the day." 

"What about your other babysitting kids?" she asked. 

"If Jack would like to see them - they can tag along with me. And if not - I'm sure Carole wouldn't mind watching them for me for an hour or two, or even she can bring Bradley over." I smile at her, "But hey don't let me stop you guys from bringing that little ball of joy home." 

"Okay - and thank you so much for loving our boy as much as we do." I heard tears in her voice. 

"Of course, I think the entire world would love him if they knew him. I'll let you go now." I told her to hang up. 

"You're an angel Hal. Thank you." She hung up. 

I was glad Jack would be happy - but only a month left with your loved one? I have no clue how I'd get through that ever. 

What if this happened to one of my kids in the future? I wouldn't be taking it as well as Marie is right now, that's for sure. 

I put the receiver back on the phone and moved everything back to the kitchen. 

"What was that about?" Pete asked. 

I said, "No".  as I went to the sink to begin on dishes. 

Pete brought over the dishes from dinner, telling Bradley to go work more on the fort. Despite having been intimate with me - he still doesn't understand that when I give a single-word answer, I don't want to talk about it. 

"What's wrong Kitten?" He asked. 

I cringed, "Don't call me that." 

He cringed too as soon as he said it, "Sorry - a force of habit... Seriously what's wrong?" 

I sighed, "I said No Pete." I began scrubbing the dishes. Pete stayed silent beside me - actually counting under his breath. For what I have no clue. 

"There are not enough dishes in the sink," He stated. 

I threw the plate in the sink, "What?!" I was angry now. 

"No no no," he was worried now, "not in that way! What I meant was - there are not enough dirty dishes for you to have eaten as well. You didn't eat yet."