Day Seventeen

Friday, July 25th, 1986 - Four days...

It took everything for me to get out of bed this morning. Literally everything... 

I only had gotten out of bed around noon... Which was very late for me. Carole was up before me, and that's saying something for sure. 

"Come ON Hal! Up and at Them!" Carole pulled me out of bed by throwing open the curtains and taking my blankets, "You have to pick out your outfit for dinner tonight! Charlie is coming remember? We're going to the diner?!" Carole exclaimed. 

Carole wanted everything in place ideally. She had been decorating the house endlessly, and making sure everything was in her perspective perfect. I was not a fan of the red ceramic Chicken in the kitchen that looked like it came out of a garage sale.  

"Carole, I really don't feel like going out tonight..." I mumbled, pulling the sheet closer before she rips it from my body too. 

"WHICH!" She exclaimed ripping said sheet away, "Is exactly why you need to go!" 

I sighed and got up, making the bed Carole had destroyed. She then threw multiple dresses down on the freshly made bed. 

"Pick" was all she told me as she walked out of the room. 

I looked at them...

I had no clue which one to wear

I had no clue which one to wear... I knew it was supposed to be colder tonight than it has been I thought about either the white or the dark blue one. 

I shrugged, staying in my PJs and I went to get some water from the kitchen. 

The house was quiet even though my sister was home. I peeked out the back door drinking my water - Carole and my nephew were playing outside together. I was glad to see the smile return to Bradley's face. 

Hey - despite how bad I was feeling, at least it was Friday. That means Tom doesn't have work or school tomorrow. That means I get to see him more. I sighed as I sat at the dining room table sipping my water. 

And today was friday - Friday family night dinner. At the diner, with Carole, Charlie, Bradley, Mav, Nick, Tom, and I.  Some much needed normalcy was on the way. I watched Bradley play outside. 

Then the phone rang. I Stood up to answer it, "Hello Bradshaw Residence..." 

"Hello Rose, how are you feeling this morning?" Tom asked. 

"Numb, but okay. Thank you for rescuing me yesterday Snowman" I sighed. 

"Anytime my love. Just get through the day. Then we'll have family dinner tonight. I'll stay over too. We can spend the entire weekend together." I heard him smile through the phone. 

I smiled at this but then sighed, "That sounds perfect - I just feel that things are only going to get worse from here out" 

"I know what you're feeling Hal, it'll be okay. Just getthrough the day for me. Then it's just me and you the rest of the weekend." I offered again. 

I nodded, "That would be the best thing ever, love you Tommy." 

I heard him smile again, "Love you too Hal, I have to go but don't doubt how much I love you." 

"Never Kazansky" I smiled, "Go show them. who's king up there, Iceman" 

"Yes Ma'am" He laughed and hung up. 

My smile didn't last long as I missed him. I grabbed a cup of coffee and went to sit in the livingroom wrapping a blanket around myself and falling asleep. 

I really needed the extra sleep before dinner, especially if I had to put on a show that I was okay. 

Because that role just seemed utterly impossible right now. 

Especially as this looming feeling of dread seemed to get worse as the minutes went by. 

Something felt wrong.

It felt like something was looming around the corner... 

something bad... 

something permanent... 

an ... 

END... 

Something's wrong, I just don't know what.