Night Twenty-Nine

A/N: I know it's been a bit since I did one of these, but I wanted to let you all know that there are only 53 parts left to this series, and if you look at how many have been published, it means we are just over halfway there folks. I'm not sure how the length of these ending chapters will add up but I promise you'll enjoy it. I also wanted to say that I hope you all enjoy this chapter it's going to be... WOAH. Sorry, gotta stop myself from the spoilers! Anyway, enjoy. OH, also wanted to let y'all know that there won't be many spicy parts for a while - but don't worry ;) ALSO, Ernies' is in San Deigo now, because... yeah fight me. 

10:00 a.m. - August 5th, 1986. Miramar Naval Base: Tom's POV

Today was boring, they didn't want us pushing our luck after last week's scandal. So we wouldn't fly today or Thursday - however, we'd have a few extra hours and opportunities to fly the rest of the week. That's only if you didn't have enough points to graduate though. Graduation is in one week, exactly. 

"Yo, Iceman!" Slider snapped in front of my face as we all exited the trailer. 

I sighed, gathering my papers, "Yeah, sorry, man" I mumbled. 

"Don't apologize to me," Slider clapped his hand on my back, "Apologies to Viper he's the one who wants to talk to you." He pointed to where Viper stood with his arms crossed in front of the makeshift trailer classroom. 

I put my things in my bag and slung it over my shoulder. I met Viper up front, "Yes, Viper, Sir" I replied, back rodram straight. Was I not graduating? Was Maverick going to graduate? Would they hold us back? Is graduation pushed back? 

"Leave us" He waved Slider out of the room, "Sit Tom, I believe I owe you and your girlfriend an apology for my behavior yesterday" He motioned for me to sit in one of the chairs, as he sat down in the one next to it. I of course followed my orders, but I wondered what he needed to apologize for. I was the one who was out of line yesterday. Seems to be all I have done recently. mess the fuck up. 

"It was wrong for me to say that to you, I didn't realize it had done any damage until my wife informed me that Hal was crying afterward in my office." He sighed leaning forward on his knees. 

I gave no flying fucks if he was my superior as I answered, slightly pissed off, "She was crying?" I wasn't pissed at him though, I was upset with myself. Why hadn't I noticed? We talked sure, but she seemed more worried than upset.

Mike must have seen the look on my face, "Don't beat yourself up kid, I'm sure she would have said something about it. If she needed to. I just wanted to apologize is all." 

I shook my head with a chuckle, "No, she wouldn't tell me. She cares for everyone, yet, not herself. I'll make sure she's okay tonight when we go to Ernie's..." I paused, " I mean we talked about it last night... She was more concerned with how I responded. Told her that I did have plans to propose. I'd do it before I leave on my next mission. So she knows I'm coming back no matter what." I let it out. I don't let out too many people, believe it or not. But,  I don't have a reliable man to talk about relationships with... I did, but, there was a pang in. my chest as I fought back tears, Nick's dead. And well, my father is... phew, my father. So, I guess, Viper is like a dad to me...

Mike laid his hand on my shoulder, "Well, then Son, you can't tell anyone this you understand? But you might need to get that ring sooner than you planned to." He gripped my shoulder. I looked at him with a confused expression. He continued, "As soon as you graduate, you're leaving. It's urgent. Hence, why graduation is still next week." 

I gulped and leaned against my elbows which were now situated on my knees, "Shit..." I mumbled. I leaned up though and laughed, "Well thankfully, I already have a ring. It was my grandmother's. I called my mother and asked her to bring it down, so I could see if she liked it." I pulled the box out of the bag and showed it to Mike. My plan with bringing it in was so that, one- Hal couldn't find it, and two - Slider wanted to see it. I also wanted to show it to Maverick, when I asked his permission.