Night Thirty - One

A/N: Warnings about Miscarriage talks/aftermath. Also, I stumbled upon this song again and thought this would be perfect for this chapter. Anyway, I know it will be sad but, don't worry. There will be happiness in the bad, I promise. Just hang in there with me, Okay?  Enjoy baby aviators. 

I waited in the lobby for my sister. I had asked the nurse to borrow the hospital phone so I could call Audrey. Thankfully I was allowed and late into the night, Audrey was able to drop Bradley off to me at the hospital. 

I took him back to see his mother, "Be careful Bradley, Mommy's in a lot of pain okay?" I hoist him up onto my hip. He rubbed his tired little tear-soaked eyes and nodded. 

I lightly knocked on the door to Carole's room. A weak Come in!  erupted and I opened the door to walk us in. 

I had talked with Carole before Bradley arrived. She was pretty torn up. But all she wanted was her son. She claimed he was the only thing she had left of Nick. He would have known what to do in this situation. 

Bradley immediately reached out to his mother, who also immediately reached out to him. 

"Mommy, okay?" He asked with a scratchy throat. 

Carole nodded, "Mommy's okay - but your little sissy..." Carole began. 

I sat on the edge of the bed, trying to be the best emotional support that I could be.  

"Did she want to go with Daddy?" Bradley asked. 

Why is this kid so sweet?! I looked up at the ceiling to fight the tears in my eyes. 

Carole just nodded, "Yeah she missed him and wanted to go too." 

Bradley sniffled, "That's sad" 

Carole gave a heartfelt smile to her son as he lay on her chest, "I know, but, it's happy too" 

"Cause she gets to be with Daddy?" Bradley responded. 

Carole gave a light chuckle then, "Yes, yes she is" 

I patted Carole's knee, "How are you feeling Car?" I asked. 

She smiled, "Ready to go - to get out of this place" She held her boy closely, "I have my boy, all is right in the world." 

I stood up, "I'll find the doctor, or a nurse, or both" I smiled and walked out of the room. 

Thankfully I bumped into the Doctor as he was about to walk in, "Oh Miss, Ryan. Your sister seems to be in prime health and should be able to go home soon." He smiled. 

I shook his hand gratefully, "Thank you for taking care of her, she's in her room with her son  I am going to call my, well my fiance." I sidestep out of his way and go to the nurse who had let me use her phone before. 

When I went up to her desk, I immediately was handed the phone with a smile. "Figured you'd want this" The nurse, Mandy, smiled. She was around my age, we had become friends as I was waiting to see Carole. 

I thanked her and dialed the new house's phone number. Tom picked up instantly, "Hello Hal? Is this you?" He asked, frantic. 

"Yes Tommy, it's me. Carole's okay. Bradley just got dropped off from Audrey. He's with Carole, who is with the Doctor talking over her care and hopefully releasing her from the hospital's grasp." I sighed finally being able to hear his voice. It was almost, I checked my watch, seven o'clock at night. 

"Good, good" He still sounded far away and scrambled. 

"Tommy, what's wrong?" I asked worried for him. 

"I -uhm - nothing dear. I'm just thinking. I've been frantically putting together the new house to make time go faster here. I set up Carole's room nice and cozy. Made up the living room in case she wants to stay there. Bradley's and Our stuff is together. I made dinner. I - I just want everything to be perfect when you guys come home. I worried" I could hear the scrunch in his eyebrows. 

"Oh Tommy, I don't deserve you. Don't be worried. Sure this is another thing that'll hurt - bad. But, we will pull through. Especially with you on our side." I smiled. I heard him take a deep breath and let it out. "Hey, Snowman, tell me about your day at work - before this all happened." I smiled. I wanted to get him to talk about something else. 

"Oh - uhm not a good day there either. Maverick walked out, he had enough points to graduate. If he goes to graduation, I'm not sure he will. I sent Penny after him a few hours ago. So, but flying was nice today." He sighed, "it was an unexpected surprise." 

I gave a sad smile, "Oh Tommy, I'm sorry. I'll be home soon okay? then we can have dinner and cuddle for the rest of the night. Just us, in our new home. How does that sound?" I smiled. 

He sighed with so much contentment I could almost feel his body relax, "That sounds perfect. I'm still putting together a few more things. I'll see you soon, okay?" 

"Yes, you will. I love you Tommy" I smiled. 

"I love you too" I smiled as I handed the phone back to Mandy, who hung it up for me. 

I walked into Carole's hospital room. To find her standing and packed. She couldn't hold Bradley, so I held him as we walked to the truck. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I drove us to the new house, thankfully almost all the necessary boxes were already there. When I pulled into the driveway, Tom burst through the front door and went to the passenger side of the cabin. He threw open the door and carefully carried Carole into the house. I turned off the ignition and got out holding Bradley. 

"Thomas you can put me down, I can walk" Carole laughed at her future brother-in-laws antics. 

"Nonsense, Carole." He smiled, "Your bedroom is all put together, you have to share with Bradley I'm sorry, but I got some dividers at the store to split up the room. I set up the living room as best as I could in case you want to sleep there. And there is dinner on the island in the kitchen." He informed her as he knocked the door open with his back. 

Carole got emotional then. I had shut the door and sat Bradley down when we got inside. 

"Kazansky, you're the best brother ever" She was gently let down, "Seriously, thank you. I appreciate this so much!" She instantly spotted the food then - a nice seared salmon with delicious sides. 

She and Bradley sat down on the island and ate. 

I went to stand next to Tom and leaned into his side as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I leaned my head on his chest, "You're a good man, Thomas Edward Kazansky" I looked up at him. 

"I try" He whispered, looking back down at me. "I love you" He whispered, leaning down and meeting his lips to my own. 

"And I love you. Tom Kazansky: My Snowman" I smiled.