Night Seventeen

12:30 pm .... (warning they visit Jack)

Tom slowly opened the door and walked toward me. I was sat on the couch, knees to my chest.

He sat in front of me and put his hand on my knee, "you ready to go?"

I just nodded, but then I shook my head. I had no clue what to think right now. I feel fine yet not okay at the same time. Children are so precious... How could the universe not agree? It's a cold world out there .... But -

"He's just a little boy Tom" I mumbled, hugging my knees to myself.

"I know, I know." Tom moved to hold me.

"Please don't" I stopped him, "I really don't feel like being touchy right now. I'm sorry"

He backed off, keeping his hand on my knee, "I'm sorry, is this okay?"

"Yes, we need to see if Bradley is ready." I told Tom, just falling into numbness. I needed to keep cool, so I can help Jack.

"He's all ready Hal," Carole stated from the direction of the steps.

"Yeah Auntie... Jack is wreally sick. So I made him cards and gaves him a stuffie. Mommy and I got ones from the stores and washed it so he won't gets sick." Bradley sounded proud but sad. Of course he was loosing one of his first friends here. BB is going through a lot - I just hope he keeps his smile.

"Oh, I didn't even see you guys leave" I sighed, rubbing my eyes.

"It's okay Hal, are you ready to go?" Tom asked.

I nodded, "I need my purse"

"I'll get it, stay put" Tom patted my knee and went to my room to grab my purse for me.

When he returned he kneeled in front of me on the floor, "ready? I'll carry your bag okay?"

I nodded and he offered me his hand to pull me off the couch. He held my hand and led me to his car, where Bradley sat in the back.

Tom opened my door and helped me in.

The drive to the hospital was hard, I tried to think of what I was going to say... but it was almost impossible.

What do you say to a woman and man when their son is dying - and it's all out of their control. What would I say to Marie and Ron? There was nothing I could say that would take away their worries.

Toms hand rested on my thigh, I'm glad he didn't make small talk. I don't think I could have made a good conversation.

"Auntie - will Jack be okay? Will he go home soon?" Bradley broke the silence as Tom parked his car.

I looked to Tom, who answered the question for me, "buddy, we're not sure. The doctors say he's really sick"

"Will Jack die?" Bradley whispered. I looked back to see the tears in his eyes. Tears didn't belong in my nephews eyes.

Tom and I didn't answer the question as we all got out of the car.

"Okay" Bradley mumbled grabbing the things he got for Jack. Tom and I walked hand in hand behind Bradley.

When we entered the hospital they made us all wear doctors masks, because Jack was a lot more susceptible to illnesses now.

Tom silently knocked on Jack's hospital room door.

"Hello Hemingsworths" Tom pulled a tiny smile.

Despite the circumstances Ron smiled and went to hug Tom. "Hey man, boy am I glad to see you - come on let's take a walk."