Chapter Forty Three

On the final day of the trial I sat cross legged in the wooden chair as I looked over at the jury who had all been given a break to consider the evidence. I knew that I'd win that everything would be fine and yet I found myself anxiously waiting for them to come back out to the stand and present their decision.

It had been a long day and I'd been here since seven AM and it was now almost six, I had spent the day functioning off of coffee, and attempting to figure out exactly who was behind the whole thing. I was waiting for the next event to play out but I also wouldn't be surprised if they waited out for a few months until a more serene time in all of our lives.

I had also found out that the casino's that I had taken over were prospering, all of the people I took over from would be getting their payments and sooner or later would be off my back when I had all of it to myself. The Winters Family would be in control the second I stepped foot out of this courthouse, and I'd eventually be happy to just return to my work. I was also going to be leaving though in just a few short weeks to go to Tokyo for the completion and launch of one of Winters Group's largest exploration vessels at two hundred meters. The largest built was designed to be able to go over three months in the Arctic and was currently there to discover some of the things in Antarctica. The boats were also designed to host twenty people and also be able to explore every corner of the world since there was two fuel tanks and a special engine that made more power then the combustion engines on board.

There was also the fact that Winters Group had a large base there to conduct research of the ice, and for antarctic mining operations which only just recently became legal in the past six years, so one of the initial things that I did as CEO was to expand the mining and research divisions to the Antarctic where we established a research base that wasn't actually known by any governments world wide.

Small perk to the base having been made during a period when no one was on the continent.

Four hundred researchers, scientists, and miners were on the continent and it had made Winters Group billions in the short time that it had been in operation.

It also said something considering my mind had wandered to all the things I needed to be doing or working on then the fact that if this didn't turn out how I wanted I wouldn't be getting any of it.

Then the jury reentered the courtroom, and took their seats along with the judge who called the trial back into session and he was presented with the decision from the jury who was now silent along with everyone else in the room.

"In the case of Nathanial Winters versus the State of New York, for the charges of tax evasion, embezzelment, and money laundering; the jury of this court finds the defendant" the judge reads looking up from the piece of paper, "not guilty, case closed," and with a firm bang of the mallet to the gavel I was cleared of upwards of seventy years of sentencing.

Taking the sheet of paper that proved I was cleared Vanessa and I carried it out of the courthouse where she took it and unfolded it raising it above her head as I walked down to the awaiting Maybach which had Arilynn in the backseat with a bright smile on her face.

"You're not in handcuffs so that's always good" she says.

"You wish I was in handcuffs love" I remark with a sly smirk.

"Don't insinuate that" Arilynn says rolling up the partition.

"You're pure, not innocent, and neither am I" I muse.

"I'm aware, I'm essentially marrying into a mafia family".

I then just smirk because whether she wants to admit to it my whole family is mafia, not intentially but people have disappeared from the country, people, have had their lives ruined for going against the Winters. People have also been killed by the Sorenko's in the streets of Europe and even here in New York. There was no connection to the Winters but every member of the actual family knew that we were distant cousins.