Untitled Part 7

5

On the following Friday. I found some nice common dresses for Cassie and myself. I found a plain suit for Paddy and outfit for Quinn.

We took one of the coaches from the stable and went North to the church. Everyone went their own way to the church. We thought it would be better not to know each other. Just in case.

The monk that was there the first time I came here, was preparing the altar for the service. There was a lot of mortals entering the church. They smelled horrible with excitement. It was not long before our people had arrived. We were scattered through out the church.

Everyone went quiet.

The Reverend Mathew Bellman walked through the front door and up the aisle. As he made his way up the aisle, he greeted everyone. Welcoming them to his house of worship. He was near us when a late arrival came in. A slight breeze blew his scent to me.

I heard everyone behind me sniff. Paddy looked at me quickly. The Reverend was a vampire.

Reverend Mathew Bellman shook Paddy's hand and nodded to the rest of us in the pew. He did the same to everyone until he came to Shaun. He stopped and spoke to him. Of course, all of us with our hearing heard the exchange.

"Shaun Riley it is good to see you again."

"Mathew, it has been a long time so this is where you have been keeping yourself."

"Yes it has. It keeps me busy. I would like to speak with you later." Mathew said.

"Of course Mathew. Later than."

The Reverend continued up the aisle. He approached the altar bowed then turned towards his audience.

"Welcome friends to the Church of the Righteous Angel. Some of you here tonight. I have known for a long time and many of you I have just met. But we will become friends eventually." He smiled showing all his white teeth.

I was beginning to have a bad feeling about this Reverend. Paddy kept an eye on his father. I think he was surprised that Shaun knew the Reverend.

Paddy glanced at me. He signed to me. 'I know him too.'

'You do?' I signed back.

'He used to be part of the Guard. A long time ago.'

Athos and Julian noticed our conversation. They joined in.

'I remember now.' Athos signed.

'Me too.' Julian added.

All three of them were not happy knowing him.

Many of us had stopped listening to him. Mainly because he was just repeating what he had written in his booklets.

All the mortals left after the service was finished. Thank goodness I could breathe again.

The Reverend Mathew Bellman was standing in front of the altar.

"Well Shaun. I am curious. How did you find me?" Shaun stood up.

"Well. It was not me who found you. I just came here because I was curious about this church."

"Who found me?" He looked around searching.

"Well we were not looking for you. We were looking for that." Shaun pointed to the symbol behind the altar. Mathew turned to look.

"Yes, some of my followers have had that tattooed on their hands. I told them not to. It would cause problems." Mathew shook his head.

"Well it is a good identifying marker. A few years ago two of my Guards were kidnapped by a vampire. They managed to escape."

"They were part of the Guard. Shaun have you lowered your standards and brought women to the Guard. Tsk.tsk." Mathew said smugly. "It must be desperate times for you."