Untitled Part 26

14

Part of our patrol while Wilbert's family was here. Was to bring the vampires out to feed. The rules during a visit with the Council. No killing only sipping.

It is something the Council started doing a century before I started living in the cavern. If you sipped you did not need to hide a body.

All the Guard was assigned an area to bring their vampires to feed. We did not want to overlap each other. By the time the gathering was over. Everyone in all of Great Britain would have fed a vampire at some time. The mortals would never notice.

On our return to the cavern we were able to talk to Anna.

"Anna do you know if there is something to make vampires sleep?" Anna looked at me with concern. "Are you tired Kylie?"

"No, no I am fine but is there?" Anna looked at Paddy. "Other than my blood." Paddy smiled. "I have heard of something but I would have to check my recipe books. It is something you drink, I think."

"If you find it. See if there is something to reverse the effect."

"All right Kylie." She still looked at me with concern. "Are you sure you are all right?"

"Yes Anna. This concern has nothing to do with me. Something has happened to someone we know. That is all."

"I will check on it as soon as we are back home."

"Thank you Anna."

We circled around London back towards the Thames River then entered the cavern at the beach entrance. I could smell Katey's cooking. The vampires thanked us and left to join the rest of their family.

As Anna walked away from us. She kept glancing back at me.

"I wonder what that is all about." I asked Paddy.

"She might be thinking you do not want Athos to leave."

"That is ridiculous. Athos has been itching to leave now for years. He was just waiting for my apprenticeship to end."

"Your what?" He was laughing.

"Sorry. That is what Vincent called it. The hundred years it takes to learn how to be a vampire."

"I think he is right. You are still a vampire at the end of it though. I guess it depends on how obedient you are to the rules."

I took Paddy's hand. "I have you to guide me in my quest to being an obedient vampire." He smiled. "You are right. I do not think Father would be too happy if he had to punish you for disobedience."

"I guess not."

I could see Wilbert at one of the tables eating.

"Is that Wilbert eating?" Paddy looked in the direction I was pointing.

"Yes it is. Why is he eating?"

We went and sat with him. I watched him eat some potatoes, vegetables and roasted beef. I was feeling ill at what he was doing to his body. It is going to hurt coming out. If we have anything but blood. It can be quite painful.

"Wilbert how long have you been eating food?" He laughed at my question. "My dear Lady. I am human, of course, I need to eat food to survive." Paddy and I just stared at him. "Does it hurt?" I asked curiously. "How did you know that? I have severe indigestion after every meal."

"I imagine so but you are a vampire. You are not supposed to eat food. You are supposed to drink blood." I looked up. I saw Mikalia looking very sad behind him.

"Ah Senor, how is the food today?"

"It is very good my dear. I have never had this kind of meat before."