Untitled Part 43

22

At our evening meal that night. Everyone was very quiet. I knew what they were thinking about. Having to leave their home. I have only been here about a hundred years. Shaun and Colleen over a thousand years each. The rest were born here. This is the only home they ever knew. They just picked at their food. It was very unusual for them not to have an appetite.

"You know," I said, "we are not moving tomorrow. It will be awhile before we have any news from this explorer. Remember, mortals do not move as fast as we do."

They laughed. I kept glancing at Shaun and Colleen. They were the quietest of them all. "Colleen, do you want some more stew?" When she looked up at me. I knew why she was quiet. Her eyes were jet black. "No thank you Kylie." She glanced back down. "Shaun how about you?" He looked at me. He did not say anything just shook his head. His eyes were the same: black. I nodded to him. He smiled shyly. He took Colleen's hand. They looked into each eyes and smiled. They both glanced at me and nodded. They dashed out of the kitchen and out the door.

Paddy glanced at me. I smiled. He nodded.

"We are going to have to go by the beach exit. All the boarding houses have been destroyed. They can not be used until they are rebuilt. It might take awhile. Vincent and Julian are going through Athos on the continent to buy building material for them." I had everything cleaned up by this time.

"Are we ready to go?" I nodded to Paddy. "Let us go."

The six of us went out on our first patrol together since returning to London.

Gen and Cory were not prepared for the amount of destruction there was.

"Oh my..." Gen could not speak. There was a tears in her eyes.

"Paddy, we can not leave until the city has been rebuilt." Cory said.

"I do not think we will be leaving for a while yet, Cory. The Council has been thinking about moving for the last three gatherings."

"Yes but we now have a larger registry. Three in fact. That is a lot of members." Cory told him

"Paddy can Councilman Klaus expand the main cavern anymore?"

"No Gen if he takes any more of the supporting rock away the ceiling might collapse."

"Oh that would not be very good."

We walked around the city's perimeter. It was not hard to see if there was any problems anywhere. We could see for miles in all directions.

"It might be exciting living in a new place. We would not have to hide every twenty years or so if they did not know us." Cassie said quietly to herself.

"We might not have to live underground. Maybe just maybe we might have a house up on a hill with the sun shining in." Quinn told his sister then they both looked at me. They both shook their heads.

The moon was quite bright and my skin was doing its light show.

Quinn and Cassie did not have this problem. I, on the other hand, put on a light show in bright sunlight and moonlight to everyone else's delight.

When we were back in the cavern. Paddy and I kept Gen, Cory, Cassie and Quinn busy with training, patrols and cleaning up. We did not want them to disturb Shaun and Colleen.

I was in my kitchen a few days later making a large pot of chicken stew. I knew Shaun and Colleen would be very hungry after their mating cycle. Colleen would be extra hungry because she would be pregnant.

They were sitting at the table when I turned around. Both of them had a smile on their faces. Their eyes were back to their brilliant blue.

"Are you hungry? I know it is a silly question." They nodded. I served them a large plate each of stew. They ate three platefuls before they spoke.