Untitled Part 52

27

It took Paddy and me two weeks to wear off my fever in between patrols. I did not shift this time either.

At the evening meal in our quarters.

"Do you know she has not shifted in six weeks?" I was feeding Melissa while Colleen ate. "Really?" Paddy and I glanced at each other. We knew why Quinn, was not here.

"She just stopped shifting and her growing has slowed down too." Colleen shook her head. "I do not understand." I nodded. I did not know what to tell her.

When we were done eating. Colleen and Shaun brought Melissa back to their quarters. She slept at night.

Paddy helped me clean up.

"You have not told your parents what Quinn can do?"

"No not yet? I wanted to make sure it was Quinn doing it. I guess he is if Melissa has not shifted since he left." He looked sad. "That means a normal mortal life for her." He nodded. "I can understand why your mother wants her children to be shifters. Having lost my mortal children. I understand perfectly well." Paddy held me. "If I could bring back Henie and Willem back for you I would."

"I know but they have been gone a long time. I still miss them."

"Do our children help with you missing your mortal ones?"

"Yes I love them just as much maybe even more then their older siblings especially knowing that they will live a much longer life."

He kissed me gently. "Every parent dreads losing their child. It is normal human nature." Paddy said in between kisses.

"I am sure you miss your brother and sisters?"

"Yes I do. The one I miss the most is the one that was born right after me. She and I were very close just like Quinn and Melissa. When she died at ninety five years of age. I wanted to go with her. It took my parents a long time to convince me that it was her time. Not mine. She was mortal not like us. Even though I knew this it hurt terribly."

"When my mother had another child five years later. I could not get close to him. I was afraid of getting hurt again. My parents understood but my brother resented me for being an immortal. He wanted to live forever. He knew he would not."

"Yes I understand how you and my parents feel. I do not know what I would do if we lost either of them. I do know when we lost the babies. It felt like I lost a little part of me each time." I could feel his tears wetting my shirt.

"You do lose part of yourself Paddy. That is what it makes it so difficult. You lose the child and a bit of yourself."

We held each other for a long time.

The next morning Paddy and I were in the training square with Councilwoman Cleo. Paddy took over her training after Athos left.

"All right. Let us do this again. Coun...Cleo." She smiled at him. She knew it was difficult for him to call her just by her name.

We did an attack and plunge. Cleo was very good at the plunging. She went for an attack then she would plunge her sword into the floor.

"Good this time against each other." Paddy watched as the two of us spared. I was keeping a close eye on her manoeuvres. She would change them up every once in awhile.

I could hear someone running into the cavern. The rule was do not disturb anyone on the training square but this person seemed to always forget that rule.

"Councilwoman Cleo. Councilman Klaus would like you to come to the Council Chamber." This broke her concentration. She plunged her sword into my breastbone.