Untitled Part 29

15

Later on Wilbert came over and thanked Athos, Julian, Councilmen Klaus and Carlos for healing him.

"I do not know how I could ever repay you for healing me. Thank you all of you."

Anna was standing beside Athos. She had one of her recipe books with her.

"Wilbert, what do you remember before you fell asleep?" Councilman Klaus asked him.

"I remember Mikalia and Samuel leaving for Leon. I went for a horseback ride out to the beach, went for a swim in the ocean, come back to the villa, and helped Angela cut up some fruit for the sangria. Did you know Mikalia and Angela make the best sangria in all of Leon? They have won many local contests."

Wilbert kept wiggling his foot like he had something in his boot.

"Senor what is wrong with your foot?"

"I think I have something in it like a pebble or something?"

"Take it off. Let us see"

Wilbert did what he was asked. He shook the boot and a thin thorn fell out of it. He went to pick it up. "Do not touch it. Please." Anna stopped him. "It is a thorn from the sea. It is poisonous." Anna picked up and looked at it.

"You said you went swimming in the ocean. Did you step on something?"

Wilbert thought for a moment. He nodded his head. "Yes I did. I did not think anything of it. The thorns usually just fall out."

"Mikalia has Wilbert gone swimming in the ocean since then?"

"No he had to be watched all the time. He could not remember where we lived or who he was sometimes."

"So this thorn has been in your foot since then?"

"I suppose it has. Do you think this is what caused my illness?"

Anna nodded her head. "It might have played a part in it?" She opened her book. "I have a recipe here that I have never tried but it was the only one I found." Anna glanced at Paddy and I. We nodded.

"It says here if you take the juices of apples, oranges, pears and lemons, mix it with equal parts of red and white wine, and add some cherry brandy. Stir and chill with chopped fruit of mangoes, papaya and limes. You will create a concoction that will render a vampire mindless and a thorn from the sea will complete the absence of memory." Anna finished her recipe.

Mikalia groaned. "Mama are you all right?" Angela asked her mother.

We looked at Mikalia. Wilbert held her head in his hands. "My Love are you all right?"

"I was killing you. I did not know Senor. Honestly. You loved it so much. I just kept giving it to you."

"Mikalia what are you talking about?" He asked.

"I did not know." She started crying. Wilbert held her in her arms.

"Wilbert," Anna asked curiously, "did you happen to drink anything after your swim in the ocean?" Mikalia went quiet.

"Let me see. I put my horse away. I went into the house for a towel. I walked through the kitchen. I stopped to smell Mikalia's sangria. I tried some. I had never tasted it before. It was very good." He looked at Anna. "I do not remember anything after that."

"The recipe that Anna just read in her book is my sangria. I never knew it could do that to us." Mikalia was crying again.

"Oh my Precious Love. It was my mistake for trying it. Do not blame yourself. I truly enjoyed it. I just wish it did not make me, what did you say it does, oh yes mindless." Wilbert hugged and kissed her. "But what does the sea thorn have to do with it?" Anna checked her book.