Untitled Part 17

10

The next night we watched the dockyard. Nothing out of the ordinary. We knew Pete Henry was with Gen at Tudor Castle.

The boat from Moscow had not arrived yet. We watched the dock like we were asked. The children found it exciting watching all the cargo being loaded and unloaded.

The older Guard found it uneventful. We returned around midnight. Gen was already home. "Kylie how was your patrol?"

"It was all right nothing to report." Shaun nodded. Paddy and his father went into Shaun's private room.

Colleen and I were sitting with Gen in their common room. My children had gone swimming with their uncle.

"Gen how was the bard?"

"He was very good. He sung a lot of ballads."

"What about?" Colleen asked. "Oh there was one about a prince losing his kingdom, a princess losing her prince and a long one about a pirate sailing the world looking for his treasure." Gen did not look too happy.

"Gen what is wrong?" I asked. She shrugged her shoulders. "Nothing really. They were pretty boring."

"The bard was not very exciting?" Colleen asked.

"No, no, he was exciting enough but I have heard those stories before."

"From who?" I was curious. "Athos and Julian."

"Who was the bard?" Colleen curiosity was up. "Someone named Barkley."

"Well that explains it." Gen and I looked at her totally confused. "Barkley is a friend of theirs. He is also a vampire. He was at the last gathering."

"Oh yes! I remember now. Athos and I travelled with him. We crossed the channel together."

"You arrived with him and another vampire."

"Franklin." I said.

"Yes that is right."

"It is not an exciting story when you already know the ending."

Paddy and Shaun came back into the room. "Are you ready for a swim Kylie?"

"Yes I am." Paddy smiled. "See you later."

Paddy and I left for our private pond. We swam for a while; afterwards we were lying on the beach.

"How did Gen like the bard?"

"She found him to be a bit of a bore. She already knew the endings to all his stories. It seems he is a friend of Athos. Barkley."

"I know him. He is very loud."

"Yes I remember him from the gathering. Is he always that loud?" Paddy nodded then thought for a moment. "We will have to start preparing for the next gathering soon."

"So soon it is not for another thirty years."

"Yes I know Kylie. We start by putting together the agenda then all the things we will need to be addressed."

"Like what?"

"Well for the trials. We need all the evidence to prove our cases against who ever happens to be on trail."

"You mean like Mathew Bellman."

"Yes like him."

"This time we will have to introduce the werewolves." I looked into Paddy's eyes. "I know it is going to be a touchy subject." Paddy rolled on top of me. "Enough about business. Now it is time for some pleasure." I smiled. "I would like that very much." He kissed me. "You would, would you?" I nodded and kissed him back. We stayed down in the pond for a while.