remembering. (☁)

Shadow sitting by the high cliff, his legs dangling at the very end. He remembered talking to Sonic about certain things about the comfort of his home and how the world was treating him.

He remembered flashing a warm smile at Sonic, and watching the other smile back.

Shadow thought it was a lovely smile.

Eventually, their sunset visit turned into stargazing, gesturing to The Orion, the North Star, other constellations and bright stars.

He remember listening to Sonic flip through a book while talking about constellations and their origin, his eyes filled with sparkles and amazement.

Shadow was content with their interactions.

Sonic eventually started talking about his past. How he was found, where he used to live and why did he move here. It was heart-breaking to Shadow.

Imagine being the last of your species because of another species that is also about to go extinct.

“What about you?” Shadow remembered this question so very vividly.

He told Sonic, “I don't remember much, but...”he remembered thinking hard about it.

He remembered seeing her face for the first time in years after being in suspended motion.

He remembered her blonde hair, beautiful, cheerful smile, blue dress, and her caring nature. She was always so fun to be around.

He remembered feeling his eyes burn, and feeling Sonic's hand rub circles into his back and telling him, “You don't have to tell me.”

Shadow remembered telling him anyway.

“She was like a sister to me. She always cared,”he remembered saying so softly, “I don't know what happened.. It all went by so fast..”he remembered choking on his words by then, his eyes welling with tears.

He remembered hearing Sonic's hands around him, and getting confused.

“Wh-what are these feelings— why-why are these things.. coming down my eyes..?”he remembered shrieking, trying to stop the tears from flowing.

“Those are tears, Shadow,”Sonic said, “They come out when you feel extreme emotion,”he whispered softly, “Like sadness.. or anger, or even happiness,”he smiled, “It's been awhile since you felt something like that, huh?”

Shadow remembered peering over to Sonic, his eyes widened and his whole body shaking.

He remembered looking into those eyes, gosh, were they beautiful, he always thought. Those eyes.. Those eyes..

He remembered they were emerald green, glistering in the moonlight and always energetic.

Though, his eyes were softer, gentler, as he looked towards Shadow, offering a hug to calm him.

Shadow felt so insecure without him, and when he felt Sonic around him, he felt so much better.

To feel the warmth, the love and.. the care he'd forgotten existed. He remembered sobbing into the other's chest, all whimpering and fragile in the embrace. He hated being vulnerable, but he felt safe doing this with Sonic.

He didn't know why.

He remembered hearing Sonic say, “It'll be just fine..”

“Take your time.”

“Don't force yourself.”

“You'll be okay.”

“I'm here..”