liar

Creeeaaak...

Sonic pushed open the door slowly, then gently shut it behind him to his expense. He really wanted to slam that door right now.

The cold winter wind blew into the house, and snow that collected outside of his door was swiped right off onto the doorstep. The welcoming mat was covered by layers and layers of white snow.

He huffed, a puff of white air dissipating into the air. His face was red to the cold and his hands were shaking.

Well, only one of them.

He sat down, leaning on the door as he sighed, his knees up and hands down. He shut his eyes, exhaling.

"That stupid fucking bitch of a mayor!" he yelled in frustration, clawing at his own quills.

Nothing was worse than this.

Sure, maybe he'd lost his left arm due to a tragic battle and needs a prosthetic. Maybe he almost went blind during a battle because a robot almost slashed his fucking eye. Maybe he almost died during a minor battle that consisted of two stupid killer machine robots. Maybe he was a loner who didn't have anything to romanticize.

Not even the fresh smells of instant pancake batter. Not even the smell of instant ramen soup. Not even the stupid fanmail with thousands of flowers. Not even weird fanmail with weird pictures and freaky intentions.

Maybe, his life was good enough already. Maybe, he just didn't know how to appreciate it, maybe, just maybe...

Maybe I'm just not cut out for living.
Maybe life just isn't for me.
Maybe I'm just fucking stupid.

Maybe I should stop living.

But he shook that thought off. He's 27. That's too early.

He stood up, hanging his jacket on a hook. His house was so tidy, tidier than you think it'd be.

People always assumed him as messy and lazy, and yet, he was romaticized by fans, saying that they'd be his wife to clean his house up or-

Whatever the fuck they say about my home.

He was furious when he saw those assumptions.

That's why he had two mottos.

Gotta go fast, and Assumptions are stupid.

It never made sense to him how absolutely fucking --

Stupid --

The people are in his--

Fucking --

community. Especially that--

Mayor!

The mayor of this village was annoying. People praised him and gave him credits because he said he donates to charity. People claim to be his biggest fan because he provided equipment for the gym, the village square, and for the love of chaos, those cost nothing.

But all Sonic saw was him using the said money to provide to his daughters.

I bet they're fucking spoilt.

The mayor once told him, "You gotta lie to make people trust you, hero. You have to. Without it, they'll never believe whatever you say. They'll never rely on you."

"But your lies, they're- they're stupid! You donate to charity?! As if, Mayor!"

And he was greeted with a cold shoulder on the next event. And the one after that. And the other. And another.

Sonic always preached for good healthcare and reinforcing useful laws, and even had a large amount of supporters and club members surrounding those particular things. And yet, brushed aside just like dust. But he still fought for it, no matter how much the mayor dusted it off.

Sonic didn't even get paid for saving the village, let alone help out. He was just helping out because he wanted to.

But he could just act like the bad guy for just fucking once and let Shadow the Hedgehog take the goddamn wheel because he didn't give two shits anymore.

He had succumbed to a fake facade.

One that was large enough to shroud off his fear and self-doubt. One that protected his tears and self-esteem.

One that could hide his true identity.

Because nobody would accept him for who he was back then. Nobody would even flash a smile at him.

He was a 'loser' back then.

But look at who I am now.

He's the hero of Mobius. Hero of that one baby for the twelfth-thousandth time this week.

A hero.

A great, great hero, he hoped, one that could be remembered for as long as the community lives on.

His facade, never saw it as a lie. It's not.

He's not lying to anyone.

He's lying to himself.

Convincing himself that no matter what he did, he'd be Sonic the Hedgehog. Not Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog.

He's Sonic.

The one who grins in all his glory. One who smiles and waves at children who claim to be big fans. The one who preaches for great healthcare and reinforced laws.

The one who's truly happy.

One who isn't harassed every single day and called a useless motherfucker. One who isn't called weak and a boring ass nerd. One who isn't just someone with huge dreams.

One who just wants to survive.

Whoever that Ogilvie Maurice guy is, Sonic didn't want to remember. He doesn't even want to think about it.

He's nothing but a useless bitch. He'll never be who I am now, if he hadn't..

Lied.

..So what if he had lied?

So what, right?

Nobody gives a damn anymore, so why should he?

Everybody trusts the mayor with all his lies and the government with all their empty promises and their family with their lives.

What about him?

He managed to gain people's trust, all the way before his facade grew larger and stronger and heavier than he could ever carry or raise.

So, what's the matter?

What's the matter, Sonic the Hedgehog?

Why can't you fucking accept it that you lied?

Was it because you're a fraud? A useless, good-for-nothing bitch?

An insecure nobody, a peculiar one of your kind? Is it because you're a hero?

Is it because heroes can't possibly lie, and that heroes are supposed to be honest and kind and truthful and trustworthy?

He snapped. Edging off at the rooftop.

Heroes to him, they were so spectacular, so honest. And he had craved to be one since he was a tiny little preschool boy, who hadn't seen what life had in store for him.

Those heroes he'd seen on TV, the ones doing podcast and holding talks and writting books. The ones who shine in all their glory and sparkle in the dimly lit night sky. The ones who had flashed a grin at him and said he had a chance. Ones that told the world to get it together and fight. The ones that did what they had to, then left without saying a word.

Did they all feel like this too?