making up for lost time

“You ready?” I asked. It was dark out, so I wasn't surprised it had taken this long for me to get home. Shadow always took forever getting ready though. He said we would have time enough for sex once we were inside, and if I could get my mind off it. It didn’t stop me from wondering what exactly it was that would make him come undone.

He hummed and nodded. “Yeah… you can start whenever you're ready,” he mumbled sleepily. His head hit the mattress beside mine as I crawled under the covers. As always, his warm body made itself known right away.

I slipped my hand under the hem of his shirt, gently making my way up slowly. I didn't want this to go too fast for either of us.

Life's been hard. I didn't want to overwhelm either of us.

Shadow doesn't think much about our current situation, and I'm okay with that, honestly. Sometimes it just feels like we should be living the normal life we used to live. We've been trying so hard lately to be more like we used to be when we lived together. But life isn't fair, and there isn't any reason for us to try. Life will throw things our way one day, I'll tell you. I just don't know how. I guess that's why we're here today. We have to figure out ways for things to go differently. To keep on living even if we feel like we shouldn't. Even if we never thought we'd ever live. Let alone survive.

Shadow's breathing was slow and quiet. I slipped my hand to the curve of his waist and up again, running my fingers past the tender scars that adorned his entire body.

I always wondered where they came from. But there was only one I knew the origin of. I paid for those two slits.

Smiling, I kissed his cheek.

He smiled, whispering to me, "What are you doing?" he chuckled, as if trying to get me to progress faster.

I sighed, "Just enjoying you."

I was telling the truth. Why would I lie? It's been a long time since we'd gotten intimate. Just enjoying each other's presence like this, was more or less forgotten before.

During the harsh days, we'd barely look at each other, because we were so caught up in our jobs. We'd barely have any time for each other, because he was working with piles and piles of personal files while I tripped over pens and pencils and rocks while settling down children.

But now, finally, a deep, deep breath.

And release.

We were trying to stabilize our jobs and maintain a balanced income, and now, after months of nothingness, there was light.

We'd neglected our relationship and forgot about the trust within us, brushed aside the planned dates.

We finally have time.

Whispering, I told him, "I'm sorry for everything. About yesterday, the day before, the month.."

I was asking for forgiveness, I didn't care if it was a subtle one or if he just didn't care. As long as he acknowledged that I was and am regretful of my putting aside our relationship and brewing up storms and whirlpools in the bathroom when we just woke up.

Shadow smiled, his eyes.. His eyes. It lit up. I didn't think rubies could be so bright.

He whispered, "It's okay. I guess I'm a little at fault, but.. Hey, we're too stubborn to leave each other."

I smiled. This felt fond. It was like a fond memory, somewhere in my mind. Maybe that specific memory, was where it all bloomed. Just maybe.

He looked tired and exhausted. I wondered how the patients he met today was.