He wasn’t sure why it was happening. There had to have been some sort of trigger. He’d just thought it had something to do with how they were both feeling about what had happened earlier. Or maybe it was because the last time they'd done this it wasn't like this.

His heart was racing, quicker than he was used to. Pounding, spinning, ringing.

Dazed, blank, still.

Staring.

It felt surreal. It almost felt… wrong.

Like someone else’s body was controlling his movements. Even as the adrenaline coursed through his veins, his eyes seemed locked on Shadow, who was staring right back at him.

There was no fear, or confusion, or surprise, no sign that Shadow expected anything at all.

What was he to do?

What could he even do at this point?

Was he supposed to go forward?

Was he supposed to stop?

His brain didn't know what to do either. Loud ringing roared in his ears and all he could hear was a loud buzzing sound. His breath coming out shaky.

They’d already come out as a married couple to other people.

This would be the third time they'd tried.

Just him and Shadow.

And that was a problem.

And yet, Shadow was smiling. The most beautiful smile that Sonic had ever seen. The smile that told him, that all would be fine. It would come out just as they wished. Again.

What a liar.

Nothing, but a liar.

How many times has it been?

How long?

When will you stop?

Breathe.

In, and out.

Breathe.

Steady.

And then he started moving.

One step after another. Each footfall hitting the ground harder and harder as his thoughts turned to static noise. The world slowly going black around him as every nerve ending screamed to run away. Run far. Far, far from there before Shadow realized what exactly he’d done. That he’d done something, so, so fucking stupid.

So worthless.

So dumb.

So meaningless, you are.

You are nothing.

No one.

You will never change, will you?

Your mistakes won’t fix any problems.

Just keep going.

Do what I fucking tell you to.

Keep doing what I told you.

Why won't you listen?

His hands went into fists, shaking, trembling so violently.

Everything was sending stars and light into his vision as everything blurred. His hands clutched his head, trying desperately to make sense of everything.

What was there to make sense of?

Just give up.

You have no hope.

You've tried. So many times.

It's not possible, Shadow.

Don't lose hope.

You’ve been here too long.

This isn’t your life anymore.

The pain started somewhere deep within him, burning through his bones until they felt like they might fall off. His mind filled with static once more as the world around him went blurry.

Static.

Still.

Hazy.

Who are you?

Shadow shook, wanting to push, needing it to stop. But, he wanted this. He wanted this to right, to happen.

Was there something wrong with him?

He wanted to cry, sob and weep.

Why wouldn't it work out?

He’d done everything right.

Hadn’t he?

Why wouldn't it be okay again?

Then again, the only reason that they had gotten this far in the first place was because Shadow kept pushing the limits, breaking them, over and over.

What did he expect to happen now?

Would he die?

Would he break?

All of the pain came back, overwhelming him, and it was as if the universe was pulling away again. All the sounds faded into white noise.

Out.

Out, out, out.

Stop it.

Please, I don't want it anymore.

I want this to work, but why won't it?

A sob, finally, a sob.

Shatter.

Static.

Still.