:( ☂️

Shadow awoke in a cold sweat. Panting and sweating, he jerked upwards, dropping off somebody's hand in the process.

A tired mumble, "Shaaads..?"

Shadow's voice barely a whisper, "Yes?"

Sonic sat up slowly and stiffly, "Wha's wrong?" he asked, blinking lazily.

Shadow shook his head, "Nothing. J-just a bad dream."

Sonic sighed, pulling Shadow close, "..C'mere. You're okay now.." he leaned Shadow down along with him.

Shadow nestled deeper, not making any noise. Just heavy breathing. Sonic knew it took some time for Shadow to calm down, so he whispered sweet nothings to him, running his fingers through his hair softly, waiting for him to slow down his breathing.

Shadow's hands quaked in the air, hanging right by Sonic's back, before he reluctantly gripped into the other's soft T-Shirt and quivered.

"That's right. It's all okay now. It's just a bad dream.." Sonic smiled, "I'm here," he whispered softly.

Shadow squeezed his eyes shut, hugging the other tightly, and almost desperately. To feel his warmth, listen to his calm soothing voice, and pulled away, to see his calming smile.

His fingers grazed past his cheek, whispering, "..My baby.." he whispered softly, frowning.

Sonic softened, "S'okay now. I promise."

Shadow's chest tightened with fear. He'd been doing this for basically his whole life, and yet, when he was scared, or stressed out, it didn't leave him anytime soon.

Sonic kissed the top of his head gently, murmuring sweet words, "It'll be okay.." and Shadow nodded slowly, relaxing a bit more as Sonic rubbed his side with one hand, with a small smile. One that was so soothing.

He was trembling again, and buried his face against Sonic's shoulder, crying. He didn't know why he felt such intense feelings that day, but he needed them. Needed to be held.

Sonic whispered, and he listened. He was glad to have at least someone who cared. Even if it was a facade or they were actually annoyed. He just needed to know that someone cared.

Shadow wanted to feel happy too, it wasn't like he wasn't trying. But all these dreams, they are horrid. Too vivid.

And they were made of Shadow's own unconscious mind and that, was what scared him most.

His anxiety had been getting worse by day no matter how hard he tried, how much he meditated.

He needed to be comforted and told all was fine, but when he was told those things, he sobbed. Whimpering and sniffling, saying it's a lie.

And it was too easy for him to drown. In his own thoughts. They were so muffling and controlling, and they could just shut him off. They could cut off everything he should've heard. Make him be unaware of potentially hurtful things.

No matter how hard he tried, how bad he begged and how much he cried alone at night, it never worked. It was all his own fault, he'd concluded.

He had to get his shit back together and get his life back. But until then, he could drown deeper. To the very bottom of the Mariana Trench. And possibly deeper.

He could sink into the seabed, bury himself in the dirt, 12 feet under if he wanted to. Or maybe, sink into the mantel, outercore, innercore.. and burn.

He could melt into the ground and disappear forever. Maybe he was already. That would make everything easier. Would make it less painful.
The thought left a bitter taste in his mouth as tears continued streaming down his cheeks. He wanted it to stop.