just a dream

He squirmed, tossing and turning in the sheets, his hands gripping the blankets. With a furrowed brow, a small mutter left his lips.

"No..."

Shadow awoke with a jerk, his body falling frontwards. He leaned towards the side of the bed, massaging his temple as a low growl escaped his throat.

"Shadow? What's wrong?"

Silence filled the air.

Shadow swallowed thickly, beads of sweat rolling down the side of his face slowly. His ears twitched to his own ruffling.

"Nothing," he muttered.

He groaned, "Sorry, Sonic.. Just had a dream where," he turned to look at Sonic, "you were..." he paused, trailing off.

A wave crashed his shore. A violent wave. His skies darkened. The clouds grew heavy.

"...gone."

The silence weighed down on his shoulders. He slumped in defeat, staring at the empty bed. His eyes widened, yet his gaze softened.

His hands grasped at the sheets, his eyes growing warmer and warmer.

“jeez, shadow.. ya gotta stop scaring me like that!”

He'd send a smile his way, patting on the other pillow before slipping back into slumber.

He wished to hear the other's voice again.

Oh, how he wished to hear it.

“c'mon. lets go grab a snack before we sleep again, kay? you said it was just a dream. it'll be fine... just a dream.”

Now it isn't.

i miss you.

i really do.

The only voice that would strengthen the dam holding back his tears.

But that voice... where had it gone?

He sucked in a breath, covering his face.

The clouds grew heavier and heavier. The weight was unbearable, its loud rain pouring.

It really used to be just a dream.