62

CARMEN

So caught up in mob talk. Arlo and I slipped away from the study and out into the hall.

I walk through the foyer, and pull her along with me. We make our way into the kitchen, smelling the many foods being prepared by the estates chef, Ron. I introduce the two of them before leading her to the big kitchens island.

"This is the kitchen, my favorite room in the house!" I joke, smiling at Arlo's laugh. Her head fell back as she did before rolling back
up and hiding it with a bite to her lip. Her smile falters as she tries to hid her amusement.

"It's been so long since i've been in a kitchen." Her words take me by surprise, and the yearning look on her face told me she wasn't joking around. She was sad about it.

"Really? How long do you think it's been?"
She shakes her head before signing lowly, something she does as a habit i've caught on. Her eyes lift back up to mine before speaking.

"Years." My eyes widen at her words, she was being short with me but I nod nevertheless. I bite the insides of my cheek waiting for her to continue. Her mouth opened and closed.

"I've always wanted to bake." My mouth falls open at her words.

"I can bake a pie. That's it." She smirks, tapping her long nails against the marble island. I fake a small laugh to make things less awkward.

"What the hell are you laughing.. oh." Harper pushes her way into the kitchen and around maids before halting in her step. Looking Arlo over in confusion. Her two brows furrow from behind her thick framed glasses, and pushing them up nervously. She looks my way in panic before looking around for an escape.

"Hello." Arlo was the first to speak, putting up a facade quickly.

"Hi." Harper squeaks.

"This is Arlo, Arlo this is Harper, Stefano's sister." I break my eyes away from Harper to see Arlo dead staring at Harper with emotionless eyes. Like a dark void, she zoned out so quickly from just seconds before.

"Arlo?" Her lashes flutter before releasing a big breath from deep within.

"Yes, nice to meet you." I nod at Arlo's words, watching the two of them closely and curiously. It's as if they know each other already.

"Have the two of you met before?" I glare at Harper trying to read her body language. Shifting her weight to one side and fiddling with the ends of her old t-shirt, she wouldn't meet my eye. Much like when her brother would get nervous.

"Once or twice." Arlo whispered, placing her head into the palm of her hand and looking between the two of us in complete amusement. Her eyes were filled with joy and excitement at how nervous Harper looked. As if she was feeding on her fear.

"I have to.. see you.. bye." Breathing heavily, her chest pumped up and down for a breath of fresh air as she tumbled out of the kitchens swinging door. And knocking a maid over in the process, repeating a few apologies.

"That was interesting."

"Very." I cross my arms, leaning back against the hard chair. What was I missing here? Harper was quite feisty. Just the look of Arlo sent her into a shut down.

"What were you saying?" Arlo's voice spoke out into the now quiet kitchen, snapping me out of my thoughts quickly. I look her way before shaking my head slightly, thinking.

"I can't remember."

...

Dragging and pushing me into her bedroom with force. Harper slams the door closed before she lets out a loud sob, and crying louder by the second. Tears fall from her darkened eyes.

"What the fuck?" She cries louder at my words.

"I've done things." She replies, sighing heavily and not crying anymore. I roll my eyes at how dramatic she was being.

"Be specific." She looks around the room awkwardly, silent. Heaving and trying to catch her breath, she sits quietly and not answering me at all. Not even looking my way.

"Harper." Her eyes meet mine quickly before dropping to the floor. She visually gulps before answering me quietly, like someone would hear her speak.

"With, Arlo." I nod my head feeling her look at me from the corner of my eye.

"Like?" She groans louder than the first time.

"Carmen don't make me say it!"

"Okay, you need to explain." She nods. I have no idea what this girl is talking about.

"I first met Arlo at one of Adriks clubs. I had begged Stefano to take me for my seventeenth birthday and he gave in at the last moment! I had to go in a hoodie, and sweats, because it was last minute. Anyways, I got there and he told me to sit and stay like a dog? But I'm not a dog, so I wandered around and found Arlo. We struck up a conversation and before I knew it we were both drunk. She led me into this small room and she just kissed me. It's almost like a fever dream at this point but a week later, I met Xavier. And I forgot about it until I saw her face and.. it's just awkward. I didn't know she was one of Adriks' toys. Oh my god, Carmen I don't even like girls! What if she got the wrong impression or something. I'm going to start cry again." She fans her face.

I blink, processing her words.

"Say something!" She yells in my ear causing both of my hands to reach up and cover them.

"Fuck, i'm thinking!" Her lips pout before she falls back onto the bed, letting out a loud cry.

"What am I going to do!" I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from laughing at how pitiful she sounds.

"There's nothing you can do." I tell her straight up, but obviously. She throws both hands over her face, creating a loud smack noise to fill the silent bedroom.

"No one knows but you." She mumbles from behind her hands. I sigh, reaching out for one of her hands to hold. We wouldn't want her to claw her eyes out.

"It's okay." I tell her calmly, getting a shove.

"It's not!" She sits up, yanking her hands away from my hold. I don't take it personally, trying to understand how she may be feeling. I swallow, furrowing my brows while listening to her rant once again.

"What if someone finds out.. better yet Xavier! Or my brother, no Carmen do something." I nod, having no idea what I could possibly do to help this situation.

"Okay so.. like what?" Her eyes roll back before she stomps her foot down like a child.

"This is so stressful!" I fall back against the bed, huffing. This would be a long night.