64

CARMEN

I curse the tall Italian as he paced the room. Grabbing his necessities for his weekend getaway. He moves fast on his feet, coming within arms length of where i'm standing still and trying not to break down into tears. Crossed over my chest, I unwrap my arms to try and grab his. Finally getting him to look at me and acknowledge my existence. My words and my eyes, relaxing when he nods slowly to my words from before.

"I'll be back before your birthday party." He states, softly grabbing my shoulder to push me aside and reach for something on the dresser behind me.

"Why do you have to stay in the penthouse anyway? You have drivers, just come home." I murmured, on the verge of tears. I didn't like when he left. Nor could I understood why he couldn't just take me with him. We were only an hour from the city. He has to leave almost every other weekend.

His brows furrow checking his phone before slipping it into his suit pocket. He closes his duffel bag with a loud and heavy sigh from his lips. Turning my way before his face drops.

"I know, preziosa." He walks over to me, grabbing onto either side of my head, pulling me forward to press a kiss to the center of my forehead. Keeping it there to linger longer, I bite my bottom lips harder, sucking it into my mouth to keep quiet.

"I will be back, I promise." He leans away giving me space to look up at him. Eyes clean with honesty, he slips a hand down to grab my jaw and pull me closer to his chest.

"Be good for me." With another kiss to my jaw, I close my eyes tight wanting to remember the way his affection felt before it was to be ripped away for another two days. Before I would lay awake at night unable to sleep without his arms wrapped around my body to hold me.

"Walk with me?" I nod at his words, feeling his hand wrap around mine as he intertwined them and pulled me along. And as he does, I watch him from the corner of my eye, still biting my lip with a bad gut feeling. The same feeling I get each and every time he has to leave.

"Giovanni." Stefano's head tilts, as he is silently speaking to the man across from us. Giovanni being his underboss and literal right hand. Each time he left, Giovanni was in charge of the estate. More or less anything that happened here while he was gone was on, Gio.

"Protect my queen." He speaks with sarcasm lacing his voice. I close and open my eyes getting one last good look at Stefano's face before he's out and leaving, again. I huff, walking to the large front door and watching him walk to his luxurious car.

"He left us." I whisper, placing my head onto the side of the door. Watching him leave was like a stab to the heart. But I did each time without fault. And usually it was a silent time, until this time. A loud scoff enters my ears before I'm pulled away from the door and it's slammed closed.

"What the hell is your problem?" I glare at the buff man. He walks away from me and the door. Clenching a fist as he does.

"I'm talking to you!" I easily catch up with him. Skipping faster as he walks away from me. I try to get a good look at his face before he escapes.

"You're stupid." He turns, suddenly scaring me.

"Why am I stupid?" I ask, face to face with him. Was I stupid? Why would I be stupid? My face drops seeing a certain look in his eyes. It was evil looking, and dark. He shakes his head before walking further into the home.

Giovanni's words had been eating at me all day. I make my way down the long corridor, cringe at how late it was. Past eleven at night I assume. I knock onto Giovanni's office door with sweaty palms. Feeling intimidated by the large man as he opens the door. Sighing as he sees who it is, he tries closing the door in my face, but fails. I throw myself towards the door leaving him no other choice but to let me through. I'm sure if Stefano found out he had bruised me up with a door, it would be bad.

"You seem disappointed." I state, walking in and closing the door behind me. His hand takes through his dark locks, falling back into place when he lets go. Looking up and over to me, he lifts a brow of his, waiting for me to say something.

"You can say that." He speaks gruffly, standing awkwardly yet tall in-front of me. I just shake my head before laughing under my breath.

"What?" My head snaps up, watching as he glared at me. "You hate me." I murmur, seeing his eyes roll back. I scoff before walking deeper into the room.

"Are you expecting someone?" Just as I speak a knock is heard from his door, and his shoulders tense.

"I'm busy." His gruff voice said loud and clear, taking his time to walk up to the door and listen for any complaints from the person on the other side.

"Sorry." He looks at me weirdly. "Don't be." He replies, watching me think deeply about whoever had just knocked. It was without a doubt late. Who would be up at this hour? Why wouldn't he care to answer?

"Stop thinking." I look up at him, squinting my eyes at his words. Why would I stop thinking when every word that comes out of his mouth makes me think.

"Why do you hate me." I confront him, demanding to know his deal with me.

"I don't hate you, amore." His words were softly spoken, well Gio's kinds of soft which was rough still. But nevertheless it wasn't rude.

"Did you just call me love." I spit, rolling my eyes at the smirk that lifts onto his face.

"What's so funny?" I snap getting a lift of his brow. What was he threatening me with his eyebrow now? I sigh heavily, thinking of what to say to him.

"You called me stupid today." I start off, without thinking, clearly. I could have worded it better, or tricked him into telling me why.

"Taking my words to heart?" He hides a smirk by dipping his head down, and rising it once again with a blank face. What was the point of being here? Of course he wouldn't care or think to care knowing he and Stefano are close. Giovanni wouldn't say anything, he would probably cover his doings. If he were doing anything that I don't know if.

"Why did you call me stupid?" I strike up the nerve to ask, waiting for a reaction to present itself on his face, which doesn't happen. I swear he was harder to break than Stefano. Or any guard in the estate that i've met.

"Insecure?" He says more to himself, sitting down in his leathered brown chair. Looking up as I gasp lowly. There's no coincidence, he and Arlo have thought the same thing. I look away from his gaze, rolling my bottom lip into my mouth. Hoping my tears don't come like days ago in Harpers bathroom.

"Are you fucking crying?" I gulp, feeling frozen where I stand. Yes I was fucking crying seeing as everyone is scaring the hell out of me. Now, even Harpers words about Arlo being a snake doesn't help because here goes Giovanni saying the same. I should feel guilty for questioning how Stefano feels about me, but I don't.

"Please." I beg, walking closer to his desk. Leaning over and snatching the pen he held. His eyes lift to mine slowly, like watching his prey. But I wanted to be heard, not ignored. I did the pen seeing the certain look of nothing in his eyes. The longer I stare, the darker they get.

"I don't want to be stupid." I whisper begging him, needing to know something, anything. I back away from the desk, and stumbling over the chair behind me.

"I'm afraid it's too late for that, and you."