67

CARMEN

Finding my way out of the crowd. I find the familiar face of my father and practically shove my way through strangers to get to him. After the speech from Stefano we all ate, and the two of use stuffed our faces with chocolate cake, I smile at the memory.

"Have you seen Stefano?" I make my way over to my father. Blankly ignoring Giovanni standing right next to him. I'm even surprised he showed, seeing as he clearly thought of me as stupid. He's been judging me from afar I bet.

"No sweetheart, i'm sure he's around here somewhere." I nod silently to my fathers words, still letting my eyes travel the crowd of people in the ballroom. It was completely filled with people i'd never met. And they hadn't even given me a second glance without Stefano by my side. Which reminds me I don't know how we even got split up. The whole night he was by my side.

"You mother is waving me down. Have fun?" My head snaps toward my father and his words. With my widening eyes, I try stopping him but fail. He's quick to blow me off and run into the direction of where my mother is. I swear the man was at her beck and call.

"He went to his office." I swallow, hearing Giovanni's voice in my left ear. But it's not him who angers me this time, it's Stefano. I breathe in deeply, closing my eyes and letting my head fall back in annoyance. This was not the way tonight was supposed to go.

I was supposed to have fun. We were supposed to have fun together. It was my party after all. I was supposed to get attention, mostly from Stefano I was hoping. Who is nowhere to be found. Working, on my night, it's unbelievable.

"He left to work?" I glance at Giovanni shortly.

"You can say that." My jaw clenched in anger. My feet move without telling him a goodbye. Every single day, he works and I wait for him. Everyday all day, like a puppy. This was my day. Was a few hours too much to ask for?

"Leaving your own party?" Giovanni appears by my side, taunting me. Could he leave me the fuck alone? As if i'm not going through enough. I didn't need his negative words or judgement. I turn my head to glare at him with all I had.

"Get away from me." I growl, as I pass under the giant banner with my name on it.

"Stay, have some more cake." I stop mid step, feeling his chest touch my back. The pure anger and rage filling me somehow gives me a pinch of courage. I speak my thoughts before thinking.

"What are you playing at here? Why are you following me? Stalking me.. last time I checked you were too busy being Stefano's bitch." He stares back into my eyes, and I watch a taken back look take over his face, and shock invade his eyes, before it disappears.

"Watch it." He spoke roughly, ready to rip my head off, no doubt. A smile breaks onto my face as I turn back around to walk.

"Or what?" I throw out, moving fast on my feet.

"I wouldn't if I were you." I pause, turning my body around to face him with curious eyes, and the serious look on his face only makes me move instantly. What did he know that I didn't! Even slipping my heels off so I could walk faster. Although some part of me knew that I actually took them off to stay silent, and keep my presence unknown.

My breathing becomes erratic once I enter the halls that lead to Stefano's office. Still with the thought of Arlo and Giovanni's words in the back of my mind. I loose all touch to the world, completely oblivious to the man still following me closely from behind.

I become tense hearing the sound of muffled giggling. And alarms go off in my head, filling my senses completely. In every way, it feels like my body shuts down. From the throat down, I freeze. Watching the sight in-front of me unfold before my eyes. It's obviously from the slightly cracked door that Arlo is sat on Stefano's desk facing him. Her hair falls, cascading down her back.

"That little girl isn't enough to please
a man like you." Sarcastically spoken,
Arlo teased him with her words. And successful got a reaction from him. Laughing from deep within in his chest. I watch as her legs spread, resting her heel against the arm of his chair.

"He sent you didn't he." He speaks freely, and without a doubt honestly. He was staring into her eyes with an ease look on his face. Getting no reply, instead of words, Arlo pulls a strap to her dress down. Making my eyes flicker down to the floor, feeling i've watched and heard a conversation that I shouldn't have. My lungs become heavy as I forget to breathe, holding my breath without a thought at all.

"Such a cruel man you are, using the poor girl." My mouths falls open, but nothing leaves or enters. It closes and opens more before I place a hand over my heart that beats faster by the second. My sight becomes blurry as I grip the heels in my hands tighter. Preparing myself to walk backwards, but falter.

"Cruel." He whispered roughly, standing up from his chair. The motion causes me to look back up. Stefano places both of his hands onto the desk, easily towering the girl. Face to face, I don't see what happened next since a hand on my shoulder grips me tightly. Turning my body, my watering eyes travel up to Giovanni's face. Flickering back down and avoiding eye contact.

"Breathe." His heads tilts to whisper down into my ear. And I try, panicking and clawing at my throat. He lets go of me and grabs into my wrist, pulling me down the long hall at a fast pace. He shoves me into a room and I gasp. Taking in my first breath in what seems like hours. I heave craving more air greedily.

"Take it easy." Giovanni speaks again, shutting the door behind him. I throw my arms out, desperately trying to find something to hold onto before my legs collapse from underneath me. I grab onto Giovanni tightly, squeezing my hold on him tighter with each sob that rakes out of my body.

"You're okay." He pats my back awkwardly, but somewhat trying to comfort my shaking body. Eventually he pulls my body up with one of his arms, so he wouldn't have to crouch to meet my height.

"You were right." I remain in his hold before my tears have dried to my cheeks. I can tell he gets antsy when he lets go of his hold on me.

"Fuck that's enough, Carmen." He speaks loudly, startling from my racing thoughts. I shake in his arms, shocked by his loud voice ringing over in my ears. He drops his hold on me, and i'm practically slammed down onto my heels, but twisting my ankle in the process, making me tumble backwards.

"Watch it." He's quick to grip my left arm, likely giving me a nasty bruise for later from his harsh hold on me. Making sure I was standing straight, he lets go of me with force almost making me fall back again. I hiss, looking up at him in pure shock.

"What the fuck is your problem?" I seethe, ripping myself away from him completely. He'd just comfort me about Stefano yet here he is being rude. He didn't care about what had just happened or my feelings, apparent no one did.

"I'm sorry." I whisper, feeling out of it. I try moving around his body to get to the door but forget my heels. Holding one hand to the wall to slide my heels on. He catches my arm again before I throw myself to the wall wanting to be nowhere near him.

"Sorry, i'm fine." His mouth closed and opened but not a word comes out. He takes a step back, giving me enough space to move around him. Which i'm grateful for. Without another spare look, I walk out from his door, and i'm not quiet. With every step, my heels dig deeper into the floor. If dents were made it wouldn't surprise me a bit. After the things i've seen and heard tonight? My loud heels are the least of my worries.