76

CARMEN

"So how long have you known Stefano?" I ask, doing my infamous interrogating. Giselle looks up from the ground, giving me a side-eye look before smirking silently. Her hands dig down into the dirt. Pulling at the green grass. And for what reason, I don't know. I give her a confused look while standing silently and waiting for an answer.

She takes her time of course, making me wait.

"Don't look at me like that! This isn't grass, they're weeds. But you city folk wouldn't know a thing about it." She scolds, continuing to pull at the weeds stuck deep in the ground. Tugging harshly, she throws them over onto the cobbled walkway. In the process dirt flies, every which way, and I jump away.

"I grew up in Brooklyn, I didn't really have a yard." City folk, did she know?

"Never been to the city, never want to." She struggled to pull one of the weeds, as she called it. Growling lowly and yanking with all her strength. I try not to laugh at the sight. Actually feeling bad for her struggle, I peer over her shoulder curiously.

"Yeah, it can get hectic at times." I agree with her. Knowing full and well I missed the rush. The people and the scene. But Stefano felt like home now. That's all that mattered really.

"But you miss it don't you?" Thank you for understanding. Switching the roles and now interrogating me. Giselle stands up, shoving me over towards more weeds.

I never felt like I could admit that to anyone. Not my parents, not Harper, or my husband. I've been seriously holding my emotions in. And I don't even notice half the time.

"Yeah sometimes." Handing me a pair of spider-man gloves, my mouth drops open at the sight of them. They're most likely Luca's, I'm pretty sure.

"You're gonna have to work if you want to get some answers out of me!" Putting a dirty but gloved hand onto her hip, and ruining her shirt. I cringe, quickly taking the gloves and slipping them up both of my hands.

"I met Stefano Genovese when I was working tables." Getting down onto my knees. I look to where she points and wants me to help pull. So I do, waiting patiently to hear her continue to speak.

"He came in alone, and wet from the rain. It was the wettest time of the year. I hated it with a passion! But he came in, and I was the only one working in the place. So, I sat down to give him some company, and we started talking. He mentioned that he got a woman pregnant. Lost and confused, he asked me about my problems to get away from his! Sweet boy he was, is. I told him all about the way I felt lost because he asked, and that night I left with a job that was double what I had made in that diner for Six years. Six years what I would make In a month taking care of that boy inside! And I love him like a son. Both of them, with all my heart. You know, I didn't mention it earlier. But I was pregnant when my husband passed. I miscarried." She began to tear up.

"I'm sorry." Shaking it off, her head nods in regards to my words. Closing her eyes as she fanned her face. She gave me a teasing glare. Waving me along to pull the weeds faster up from the ground.

"Those two in there really became a light in my life. They saved me." Closing her teary eyes. I stand up from the ground and throw my arms around her neck. Glad that she accepted the hug from me quickly. Squeezing my body harder to her chest.

"So have you in a way." She whispers next to my ear. My mouth drops open.

"How?" Genuinely asking, I pull away from her slightly.

"That man in his own ways loves you more than living itself. He's only had pleasant things to say about you. He goes on and on-" I laughed into her shoulder, feeling my own tears choke me up.