79

CARMEN

"What's that you have there?" I ask softly, leaning over onto Stefano's back, gently wrapping both my arms over his shoulders and loosely around his neck.

I raise my body up a bit to see over his shoulder. Placing a longing kiss to the back of his neck. My lips trail lower, over a bruise i'd given him the night before. Biting over the hickey again.

I slow my roll when I see a phone in his hand.

"Jason, he left it." Stefano speaks, searching the small flip phone with his gigantic thumb. Accidentally pressing down onto the wrong keys several times.

I hold in a laugh as he turns his head up with a small glare. It would have been a funnier sight if the thought of Jason hadn't sent a cold chill down my spine.

Every single time.

"I trust you." I murmur, slipping down onto my knees and placing my chin onto his shoulder. I try swallowing back a fearful feeling that starts rising in the back of my throat.

Jason and his unpredictability is slowly killing me.

"He would never hurt you, prezioso." He sounds sure of himself. As he always does. Yet to this day, Jason has given me no other choice but to stay aware of his existence. Sabotaging me again wouldn't come as a surprise honestly.

How sad.

"I can't forget what he's done. He's not trustworthy, we can't- you can't rely on him." I stumble around with my words but trying to get my point across. I still complain day after day, knowing that my hatred for Jason bothered him. But I can't help but bring the topic up over, and over again. I won't stop until i'm proven wrong. It doesn't matter how much I trust Stefano.

"Stop living in the past. What matters is now, and the boy would never hurt you. He did what he had to do. We all will at some point, do you understand that? You have to understand because you will, Carmen. I won't say it again. Understand it."

He slammed the phone closed with a groan. Placing his head down and running both hands through his hair. I watch every knuckle in his hands flex.

"You trust me?" He suddenly turns his body towards mine. Facing me with bags under his eyes from the lack of sleep he got the night before.

He stares at me with his tired eyes. Brows pulled together, he continued to focused on my face. Patiently as he watch my lashes flutter hesitantly.

"Of course I do. I do Stefano." I reassure him, scoffing. I just can't trust Jason. I couldn't allow myself to, there's no way. Maybe if I had a talk with him things would change.

Because right now. I'm thinking of the possibilities. Like when I put my guard down, he'd probably be waiting and ready to end my life somehow.

Taking me from Stefano. And my parents, my baby brother and Luca. He really does know how to grow on someone, it hasn't even been twenty four hours and i've become attached. Because he's Stefano's. What's mine is his.

I think silently, standing up from the bed, I walk around to face him. Placing both hands down onto his shoulders. I dig my nails into his shirt as his hands find my waist.

I wait for him to speak first.

"Then trust my word. Enough about him. I understand why you dislike him, but please for me. Will you listen to me. For the sake of us and our family."

He pulls me to rest in between his legs. Tighter as my stomach hits his chest. My hands travel up and hook around the back of his neck. Fingers fiddling with his hair.