63

CARMEN

My nineteenth birthday was nothing less than extravagant. With free will to Stefano's money, my mother planned it herself. In every which way she could. From the theme, to foods of every kind, and let's not forget my dress. You'd think it being my birthday and all, that I would have a say so. I absolutely did not. She claimed that she was my mother and she knew me better than I knew myself, which made Stefano laugh.

No matter how much I complained to him, he wouldn't have it. Agreeing with my mother about how important my last year of being a teen is. Although it doesn't really matter to me. I've gotten used to no parties or anything bigger than a family dinner.

My eyes flutter across the many cakes in front of me as I meet my mothers eyes. This year was nothing like the last. There was no purple frosted cake. By the looks of if, she hasn't thought twice about it, being so caught up in what she could give me now, that she couldn't before. Which was understandable, but unnecessary.

I look up too find Stefano staring down at me. Trying to figure which cake I liked best by the look on my face, but there were so many. It was honestly overwhelming. I didn't ask for any of this. Not that I wasn't grateful.

"Which is this?" I ask the baker standing in-front of me. With a fast twist and bright big smile, he nods his head before speaking.

"Yes! The carrot cake." Who has carrot cake at a birthday party? Nevertheless, I nod my head slowly before placing the fork down beside the plate on the long dining table.

"What about chocolate?" Stefano says lowly into my ear, making me smile at the fond memory I have of the two of us arguing over cakes. I loved chocolate, but red velvet was my favorite. I mean, they are the exact same thing. Stefano denied the whole assumption, and wouldn't believe me until I googled it.

Again, with the googling.

I try prying the fork from his fingers when he wouldn't let me have any. Shoving it into his big mouth and groaning with a toss of his head. He licks his lips and the icing covering them.

"Dear god, take another fork." Mother hurries to hand me a utensil before he could eat the rest all by himself. What a greedy man he is.

"No to the carrot?" That's a hell no to the carrot. I shake my head before replying with a quick no. I could just tell chocolate would be the cake chosen. Seeing as half of it is gone already.

"It's my birthday." I pout, smiling when Stefano rolls his eyes.

"I'm paying." I gasp before smacking him.

"I didn't ask you to." I growl, sitting back against the chair. Never once did I want anything as big as this. I would have been happy spending the day with everyone, with him. He grabs my hand from the table, placing a kiss to the center.

"You deserve everything and more." His words send a feeling to the pit of my stomach. I deserve everything and more. Ignoring my mothers aw, I squeeze his hand in mine.

"Party people, hello." Rico walks in with a fork in his hand. As he gets closer to the table, my eyebrows raise. He jabs the fork into the carrot cake and taking a big bite before cringing.

"Ew!" I watch his expressions, laughing loudly as he looks around for something to spit in.

"I'm glad I wasn't the only one." I whisper.

      Jumping high at the sight of, Arlo. I put a hand over my heart. She had come from nowhere.

"Did I frighten you?" She assumes. I shake my head before walking around her. It was the middle of the night after-all. Why the hell was she roaming the halls? No, why the hell is she still here. My brows furrow as I walk past a familiar guard who stands taller as I do. Watching the fast walking girl behind me.

"I was craving something sweet. Wasn't aware your maids weren't around the clock." I hold the kitchen door open for her, and point towards the pantry.

"What about you?" She offers an ear for whatever I had to say. "Thirsty." I fix myself a glass of water and wait for her by the fridge.

"Worried about your guy?" I pause mid sip, looking up at her through my long lashes.

"Why would I be?" Why would I need to? I sit the glass down, feeling a certain wave of insecurity. She walks back out holding a box of cookies. Even offering me one before she took in the nervous look on my face.

"Don't take it personal. Men are just men."

"Is Adrik not here either?" Which frightened me more when she shook her head to my question. Stefano said he had business to handle. As he always did, but he's never given me a reason to not trust him. I think back to Adrik's words the first time the three of us met.

"Don't worry your little head, they'll be back soon." She shoves a cookie into her mouth.

"I'm tired. I'll see you tomorrow?" I ask her, getting a slow nod. As if she were looking straight through my soul, her eyes never left mine. Even when a smirk slipped onto her lips.

"Sleep tight!" She perks up, closing the box of cookies and running towards the pantry once again. Literally triggering my paranoia as I run straight for Harpers room. Banging like crazy, I ignore her guard who jumps from her mid sleep, slumped against the wall behind her. She glares at me suspiciously.

"I'll fucking kill you." Xavier answers the door, trying to shut it when I walk forward and eventually shove my way through.

"Let her in, Xavy." I snort at the nickname.

"I need you." I groan from the cold air and rising anxiety in my body. Feeling Xavier walk up from behind me and around to jump back into bed.

She sits up from bed, stumbling over to me in her unicorn onesie.

"The bathroom?" I try cracking a smile but feel my energy is draining by the seconds. She shuts the bathroom door quietly, probably to not disturb the grumpy man in her bed.

Which brings me to the point of him being here and not with Stefano and Adrik, why? My brows furrow seeing her hand wave in front of my face.

"What?" She pouts her bottom lip, looking up at me with sad and tired eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I ran into Arlo when getting water." I speak, leaving against the bathroom sink. I watch as she sucks in a deep breath, walking closer.

"Yeah?" Her voices was low and testing.

"She just confused me, saying things like you must be anxious about your man out so late." I try repeating Arlo's words in my own way. Regretting even coming to Harper. I interrupted her and her boyfriends sleep. The boyfriend that is actually here right now.

"Do you even hear what you're saying." She tells me before grabbing both of my shoulders with a tough shake.

"Yes?" She rolls her eyes at my hesitant words.

"The bitch is a snake!"