Chapter 11: New Chapter

"I want to quit my job.".

"Hm?". Namjoon's eyes widened, and his brows were slightly raised.

"I want to quit my job," I said again and lowered my head, staring at my laps.

"W-why?". He stared at me seriously. I could feel that.

I failed to respond to him. "Is it because of Taehyung? Or is it because you don't like working here? Too much work? Or what?" He shot me with a lot of questions.

I lifted my head and gazed into his eyes again. His eyes hinted at confusion.

He was right about one thing. It was because of Taehyung. 

But I would not tell him about us. 

"This work affects my academic performance. I can't manage my time properly," I lied. This work was damn easy compared to multiple part-time jobs that I had done before to support myself.

His brows twitched together. He seemed not to buy my excuse. "How? Don't the contract say your work time is flexible? You should come to work only when you're really free.".

I clenched my shirt with both of my hands. I'm sorry; I really have to do this, blaming you.

"That's why I quit too. It sounds like charity. Am I such a pitiful little girl to you? I'm not comfortable with this. And I feel unfair toward the other staff. My salary isn't affected by my attendance. It's ridiculous" I did not mean any of these words. I just said this to prevent myself from spilling out the real reason.

His expression turned upset and guilty. But I feel more guilty right now. How could I say such a thing to my best friend? It must hurt him.

"I-I am sorry. I just want to help you. My heart is just too weak to know that you were struggling to support yourself. And you've done that for education too. I want you to live a little bit easier. Is it not helping you at all?"

I gazed down at my laps again. He was too nice, and I was the one who sounded ungrateful. He was helping me very much. I really wanted to say that to him.

"I know it is because your grade for the online quiz that you told me earlier just now is low, and I know you are still worried about it." He took a guess, and I nodded slightly without raising my head at him. It wasn't true at all.

I could hear him sighing softly. I twisted my fingers, worried about how he felt right now. I must have hurt his feelings.

"Don't get the wrong idea. It was my fault, actually. I am too dumb. This semester just gets harder compared to the last one. I need to focus more, and I need a lot of time to spend on my studies. So, please don't think that it is your fault. You do help me, actually. I appreciate that. Very much".

I looked at him. There's something on his face that tells me that he is not convinced. "If you need more time for your study, So quit this job and don't find any jobs either. Just 100 percent focus on your study, and I will pay your tuition fee, your rented house, and your food as well."

My lips immediately parted to reject his idea, but he could already read through me. "Don't reject me again. I will get really upset this time," he warned me.

"B-but Namjoon-ah. It's too much. Too much money. You know that I'm a foreigner. The fee for foreigners is way too expensive for netizens. It is my fault too. I am aware of it, but I'm still here right now, meaning I'm the one who chose to live like this." I tried reasoning.

"And I was supporting you to choose and be here. I'm really thankful that you really came here. I really like keeping my friend close to me, especially when I admire your personality.