Chapter 23: Mother

I was sitting on the sofa, hugging my knees, watching a drama on TV. 

That's the only thing I could do to kill my boredom here. 

I watched the drama attentively.

"Daughter, eat a lot. You have to be healthy". Then, the mother put the beef in her daughter's bowl. She looks at her daughter with a full smile.

The daughter smiled back to the mother. "Thank you, mother". Then she ate the beef. Her eyes twinkled and she nodded her head several times. "Um! It's so delicious"

The mother giggled at the compliment.

Her giggle, her smile reminded me of my mother. 

My eyes filled with tears. The image of my mother vividly played in my head. 

I recalled some memories with her too. Tears finally escaped my eyes.

I didn't know how months had already passed since the last time I contacted my mother. 

She must have been trying to get in touch with me. What if my mother worried about me??? 

Poor my mother, poor my old lady. If she was worried, I shouldn't make her. She's old, so I worried if this would affect her health.

Actually there was a possibility she felt I went missing. 

Maybe she tried to contact my university. And maybe my university told her that I suddenly disappeared.

And maybe after that, she went to the police but it was useless. 

It was useless because I was overseas. And I wasn't a minor. The usual thing they would say I ran away instead of missing because that was what the police say when the adult suddenly disappeared.

If she went to contact the ambassador in Korea, I bet it's going to be the same.

Furthermore, my mother was just a poor old woman, living in the countryside. She didn't even know how to use the phone very well.

I bursted out into tears at my thought. If this really happened, I couldn't imagine what my mother felt. 

What if she lost her appetite? What if she kept thinking about me? 

Now I miss her and I was also worried about her.

I clutched my chest. I was fucking worried. 

           I was accompanied by the dim light of the table lamp beside the bed. 

It's almost 3.00 am. I still awoke and had been thinking about my mother since morning.

And Taehyung. He hadn't come back yet too. 

He usually would tell me if he didn't come back home. But sometimes, there's a time he didn't.

I sighed out. It's late. It's like he didn't come back tonight. I should wait for him tomorrow. 

Actually, I was waiting for him to tell him if I could at least call my mother. 

I really hoped at least he could sympathize with me about this. 

He had a mother too. He must understand me. 

Suddenly, I heard the door open. Then the footsteps. 

It must be Taehyung but I didn't turn to see him. 

After that, I heard the bathroom door open and closed.

He must be washing himself. My eyes fully awakened as I should think of the way to tell him in the meantime.