Chapter 34: Echoes from the Past

As the sun beat down on Eunwoo, he raised his eyes to the the sky. It was scorching and the sun was too intense. He said, "So hot," in a low voice, as he fannied himself. Equally perspiring and parched was he.

Then he decided to take a break and walked towards the farmer's hut, where he rested. He took one of the water bottles and gulped the water down, quenching his thirst.

He leaned back, supported himself with his arms, and then looked at his farm with narrowed eyes as the day was too bright.

Later, he heard the voice of his female workers from behind. He turned at the back and saw Bong and Haewon behind the tangerine trees.

"Yesterday, I bought rice cake from Myeong. It was really delicious," said Bong to Haewon.

"Oh really?"

"Yes, they're so soft."

They were just chatting about random things while working.

He turned his head forward again and lost himself in the green view. It just felt nice sitting after tired working.

"Do you know Sera?" asked Haewon to Bong about gossip.

As soon as Eunwoo heard Sera's name, his eyes flickered and his muscles went stiff.

"Who's that?" asked Bong.

"Yah, Eunha's daughter," said Haewon.

Bong tried to think of any person that Haewon meant.

"Yah, Eunha, the one that is selling fish in the market," said Bong, explaining more after seeing Haewon confused.

Bong widened her eyes when, finally, she was able to recall the person that Bong meant. "At Sinjeong Market, right???!"

"Yes, yes"

Eunwoo still eavesdropped on them. Listening to that, it was really Sera that he thought and knew.

"Why with her daughter?" asked Haewon.

"She came back here. I heard from my daughter that she just got divorced. My daughter was her classmate back then," said Bong confidently, as she was sure that her daughter told the truth as they both used to be classmates.

Haewon gasped and covered her mouth in shock. "Really? Why???"

"I heard her husband is cheating on her," said Bong.

"My goodness, cheating?"

Bong nodded, answering Haewon's question.

Haewon closed her eyes and tried recalling the face of Eunha's daughter and also some of her stories. She opened her eyes when she finally had something come to her mind. "I completely recall that Sera girl now. Wasn't she the one who made everyone gossip about because she was married to a rich man?" asked Haewon.

"Yeah, you're right. But see?"

"Aigoo, poor little girl," said Haewon.

"But my daughter said she won a lot of alimony."

Haewon's sympathetic facial expression changed completely after hearing that. "Oh really? But why did she come back here?"

"I don't know either. I feel weird about it too. Is her future more bright when she's in Seoul? She's an educated girl, after all. Aish, I really can't understand her."

"You're right. I can't understand her either," said Haewon, scratching her temple slightly, but then she looked at Bong with widened eyes again when she remembered something. "Talking about how educated she was, it's so weird," said Haewon.