Chapter 27: Judgmental People

I was walking around my new neighborhood. My aim wasn't to meet new people; I just wanted to know something.  

Actually, I'd been googling about the illegal place to abort a kid because in South Korea, they didn't allow to abort a baby that was over four months old.

It's impossible to find something illegal on the internet in a legal way. I meant that unless I joined something like a dark web, there might be a possibility of finding one.

But I wasn't good at such things.

I needed help from people. Just from people who're not going to judge me. Maybe the people who had the same experience as me.

But instead, I just met people who greeted me so warmly and thought I had moved on here with a family. And the common question would be, 'Where is your husband?' But when I couldn't give them the answer, they started looking at me with such eyes.

It was so annoying.

I walked and walked until I saw a group of girls smoking while giggling at the quiet spot.

I got a scary vibe from them. But they looked like the kind of person who could help me with my situation.

Wait, did I judge them? No, I just thought so.

I looked at them, and I shook my head. I didn't have the courage to approach them.

But if I walked away, would I get a chance like this again? But it was not sure yet if they knew about it. But if I didn't give it a try, I would never know. Ah!

"You, over there."

I was startled when one of the girls looked like she was calling me.

I pointed my index finger at my face. "Me?"

She placed her cigarette from between her lips to between her forefingers. "Yes, you"

I was shocked. Why? I walked towards them with a slight fear that was obviously written all over my face. That fear caused some of them to chuckle at me.

"What's the matter?" I asked with a quiver in my voice.

"You keep looking at us. Why? Is there something wrong with us?"

Oh my God! They looked like they wanted to declare a fight with me.

I quickly shook my head and waved a no to them. "No, no, no."

"Aish, this girl. You keep looking at us. Now you dare to deny it."

"But who's she? I have never seen her around here before," said another girl. She looked a little bit boyish.

"Um, you're right," said another girl, looking at me. "Who are you? Are you new here?"

"Actually..." no voice really came out of my mouth. Maybe I was too afraid.

"What??? Louder"

"I.."

The girls chuckled when they saw that I was even afraid to talk.

"I want to abort a kid. I just want to know if you know any place that does that," I said in one breath.

They started laughing, but their tight facial muscles began loosening.

"I bet she's really a new girl here. Interesting"

"Yes, I am," said I.

"Oh, why didn't you tell Unnie earlier? Lol," she chuckled again and then tucked her forefinger under her chin. "Is there any place like this?" she asked in thought.