Chapter 17: Choose

I ran toward the main gate. It took some time because the compound was so damn big.

I bent over, propping my hands on my knees, gasping for breath. Then I glanced up at the tall gate in front of me. I straightened my posture back and trying to figure out how to open the gate without making metal noise. 

When I saw there was a lock hanging there, I rolled my eyes in frustration. I had left the keys at the door just now! And I hated to return there.

I looked at the back of the house. What if he already woke up? Or what if it happened and I was caught when I returned?

I should not. It was very risky. I turned my head at the gate again, as returning home was not my choice anymore.

I scanned the gate from the bottom to the top and sighed out when I saw sharp points there.

Can I cry?

I walked toward the wall. There's no sharp point. It's quite tall, but I was sure I could climb it up without any help. All I needed was strength. Especially at my hands.

I tiptoed and extended my hands. Then, I made a jump, and I smiled when I could feel the top flat wall. I gripped my hands on that and tried to push myself up, but I wasn't strong enough. My hands slipped off, and my butt hit the ground.

I groaned and then looked at the walls again. I could not give up. It's my only chance now because I have reached this far. If I turned back, he would kill me. That's more scary.

I got up and then took backward steps. Complacent with the distance, I ran as fast as I could and then tried to hop out, but all I could do was just hang on it with both of my legs off the ground, against the wall, and support myself. I could feel my hands skin tearing and ripping due to force and my weight.

I groaned and pushed myself up with all of my might. If I failed this time, I wasn't sure whether my wounded hands could take any force again.

Finally, I got my knees on the top of the wall. The weight on my hands was relieved, and the throbbing pain started filling my hands' nerves. It hurt, but I really did not care because I was proud of myself. I did it.

After panting out and regaining a little bit of energy, I looked down. It felt higher when I was on top. I closed my eyes and prayed to God. Please, help me, God. Do not hurt me so much.

I opened my eyes, took a deep breath, and then jumped down to the ground.

"Auch," I groaned, and then I felt my muscles tensing at the pain. I tried ignoring the pain and got myself on my feet again.

It's freedom out of his cage, but...

It's dark. Very dark. Darker than I imagined.

It hurts to be betrayed by imagination.

Could I make it out there? My legs suddenly weakened in the darkness and the perpetual cold that hit straight into my core. I started shedding tears at the thought that I could not make it; I was very afraid. It was damn dark.

I tried lifting my feet to walk again. But no, I could not make it.

My body weakened, and I sat on the ground.

I looked at the alley. I remembered he drove me through this alley, and it took me one hour to get to the big road. And it was by a damn car!

"Fuck!" I cursed at the thought of how long it would take if I walked.

I stopped shedding tears when I remembered him saying there was a shortcut. It was when he wanted to go shopping. I clearly remembered that!

But....