Chapter 29: Idol

I...

I agreed.

I married him.

I married Eunwoo.

It was just a marriage that was registered on paper. But still, I was grateful.

My life completely changed after that. I felt accepted, and I felt hope in my future.

Both me and my baby.

He's my savior.

I didn't really know the reason he was willingly marrying me. Who had hurt him? It couldn't be that he had no emotion at all. Without that feeling, it's impossible. Maybe he just hurt. Just like me.

I couldn't fall in love anymore after that.

I couldn't trust anyone, but for him, it's an exception.

Once before, I'd told him to divorce me right after he found one, and I wouldn't ask for alimony.

But all he did was just nod.

It was really unconvincing. I didn't want him tied to me just because he pitied me.

I delivered a baby boy after four months of our marriage. I let Eunwoo choose a name for him, and he named my baby Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon gained citizenship here, and he used his family name. I was really relieved.

Even though we're married, we didn't really like the married couple. I just called it a conditioned marriage. Or was it more like a contract marriage?

No. Because all this just benefited me. I didn't know what to call it.

We were living together.

Firstly, we slept in a separate room.

But when Jihoon grew older, we slept on the same bed because we both wanted Jihoon to think that we're a normal family.

But still, we weren't like the married couple.

He respected me.

Sometimes, I really felt like he didn't have any emotion. He was quiet most of the time.

He had the same expression on his face, no matter what situation he was in.

And sometimes, he made me want to learn about him. Or maybe it's better if we're really like a married couple.

But I couldn't because I was afraid that falling in love would hurt me badly, like before.

And he deserved someone who was better than me too. I was just having too much of a dark past.

Wait.. His facial expression was different when he was with Ji Hoon. He laughed and giggled when he was with Ji Hoon. Something he never did to anyone else. Not even with me. I was glad he seemed to love Ji Hoon. Their bond was just like that of a real father and son.

Real.

Sometimes I could see Ji Hoon was closer to Eunwoo than to me.

Honestly, I felt bad for what I'd done to Ji Hoon during my pregnancy days.

The way I hurt myself to hurt him. I tried my best to ignore my guilt, to ignore the fact that he was his real father, so that I could love him to my maximum.

But as I raised him, I took care of him, and I loved him. And I began to fear that if it happened to be one day that he would learn the truth, I only wanted him to know that his father was only Eunwoo. No other man.

I could say my life was quite happy. But it's not too long until...

Until.

"Mom, the teachers say I look like Kim Taehyung," said Jihoon.