Chapter 18

They were talking and eating their lunch, as one the keepers yelled at Owen, from the other end of the table.
"Are you ready for your date with Claire tonight?" He asked with a huge grin.

Caithlyn's heart sank. It felt like someone ripped it into a million pieces. It almost felt like she stopped breathing for a second.
She felt disappointed and hurt. But she knew it was her own fault.

Owen flashed an embarrassed smile and looked down from the comment. The rest of the group was cheering and teasing him, but Caithlyn didn't listen. She just continued eating her  lunch in silence, while she tried to avoid his eyes. She couldn't look up at him, she wasn't sure that she could hold back her tears if she did.

She eventually had to look up, and met Barry's eyes. He was looking concerned at her, but then sent her a reassuring smile.
He knew that she was in love with Owen. He was so close to both of them, so how couldn't he have noticed.

After lunch Caithlyn tried to avoid Owen, so she went off and worked with Barry instead.

They were preparing for the next training as Owen walked in.

"Caithlyn do you want to train them today?" He asked in such a soft tone, that she was almost melting.

"Yeah. I would love to." She answered with a small smile, only looking at him for a brief moment.

She grabbed the bucket with meat and walked up on the catwalk, followed by Owen and Barry.

She whistled and a few moments later the four raptors gathered under the catwalk.

"Hey girls. Good to see you again." She said smiling widely.

"Eyes up!" She said determined, raising her hand in the air. The four raptors immediately obeyed and raised their heads to look at her.
"Good!" Caithlyn praised proudly.

Owen walked up beside her, standing really close.

"Please, take a step back." Caithlyn said a bit harsher than she actually wanted.

Owen looked confused, but obeyed and took a step back.

She moved the raptors around a couple of times before she dismissed them.

"Nice job!" Owen said happily as she turned around towards them.

"You have a great connection with them." Barry added, making her smile thankfully at them.

Blue was looking up at Caithlyn, like she used to.

"You can go now girl."
Caithlyn said softly, before Blue ran off to join the others.
Caithlyn quickly took the empty bucket and walked towards the stairs.

"You should just tell him." Barry suddenly said, as she was helping him finish up, making her look confused up at him.

- "I see you around him. You're in love with him." Barry said with a soft smile, making her look down and sigh.

"I missed my chance." Caithlyn said shaking her head, clearly frustrated.

"It's not too late." Barry said, smiling at her. Caithlyn shook her head and continued her work.

It was time for her to leave, so she went to the bathroom and got changed, before she pulled her high heels on and put her hair up in an updo.

It was a classy look, but she felt really uncomfortable in it.

Just as she turned around the corner, to walk towards her car, she bumped into Owen's chest.

"I'm sorry." They both said at the same time, before his eyes wandered up and down her body.

"Where are you going dressed like that?" He asked confused.

"I'm having the meeting with Claire, Mr. Masrani and some of the investors this afternoon." Caithlyn explained, feeling really uncomfortable being dressed up like that.

-"Oh, yeah. I almost forgot." He said almost apologizing.

"I look ridiculous, don't I." She said making a grimace.

"No, no.. Not at all." Owen quickly said.

"You look great." He said in a low tone, letting his eyes wander up and down her body again.

"I'm just not used to see you dressed up like this." He added smiling, his eyes lingering at her body a bit longer than intended.

Caithlyn smiled. "See you tomorrow Owen." She said, before she walked off to her car.

"Good luck." Owen yelled behind her, making her turn around and smile at him.

"Good luck to you too." She said as she stepped backwards towards her car, trying to sound as his date with Claire didn't bother her at all, even though her heart was aching.