Chapter 81

We were almost finished as Claire walked into the kitchen. She smiled weakly at me.

"I'll bring the food to the dining room." Karen said before she left us alone.

I turned around and faced Claire.

"How are you doing?" I asked concerned.

"I'm living." She answered, jokingly, but it mostly sounded like she could break down any minute.

"Any news on Simon?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"He's doing good." She answered, just before Owen walked in.

"Hey." I said surprised. "Karen said that you might needed some help here." He explained, as he wrapped his arm around my waist and looked intensely at Claire.

"Are you okay?" He asked concerned. He must have noticed the bags under her eyes and her pale skin.

Claire nodded in response. Owen and I shared a concerned look.

"And what about you? Is everything fine with the baby?" She asked, giving us her usual fake smile, to hide the tiredness.

"Yeah. Everything is fine." I answered nodding eagerly.

"Are they re-opening the park?" I asked insecurely.

"I don't know yet. There's too much media attention right now." Claire answered. I nodded in understanding, just as Karen walked in.

"Let's have dinner, before it gets cold." She said smiling, as she walked passed us and grabbed another couple of plates with food.

We all small talked through the dinner and dessert, and had a really nice time.

"Have you decided, where you're going to live?" Karen asked before she took another bite.

"We talked about Florida." I answered looking over at Owen, making disappointment wash over Gray's face.

"That's almost 21 hours away from here." He said with a sad expression.

"It's only a 5 hour flight." I added, smiling at him.
"And my parents live in Chicago, so we could visit you on the way " I quickly added.

Gray nodded before he looked down into his dessert.

"Let's open some presents." Karen said before she got up from her seat trying to lighten up the mood.

Gray jumped from his seat and ran towards the tree. I had never seen anyone jump and run that fast, so I couldn't help but chuckle.

We were leaving with an early flight the next morning, so Karen decided that they would open gifts on Christmas Eve this year.

We all sat down in the living room and passed gifts to each other.

The boys were really happy about their gifts.

There was only one gift left. It was for me and Owen from the boys.

"You shouldn't have." I said happily as Gray handed me the gift.

"It's for the baby." Zach said smiling from his seat.

I shared a smile with Owen, before I slowly opened the gift.

I gasped as I saw what was inside
Both Owen and I looked at our gift in shock and surprise, tears welling up in our eyes.

Our gift, was four plush Velociraptors in different colours.

"Do you like it?" Zach asked worried.

"If we like it?" Owen answered, smiling warmly as he touched the blue one.

"We love it." He said smiling at the boys.

"Thank you so much." I said with tears in my eyes as we both got up to hug the two boys.