Chapter 50

"Shh. I'm okay. I won't leave you, okay?" Owen said softly, trying to calm Caithlyn down.

He carefully cupped her face in his hands.

"Listen to me. I won't leave you. I'll always return to you." He said gently wiping a tear from her cheek, before she slowly nodded as her breathing got slower.

"Come on. Let's get out of here. I need to have a talk with Claire." He said gently leading Caithlyn towards another car.

"Yeah. Me too." Caithlyn said angrily, as she walked off.

The hormones made her mood swings really bad.

They quickly got to the control center and entered. Or actually, Caithlyn just stormed in.

"I need to see a badge." The security guard said, as she pushed passed him. Maybe he said the same thing to Owen, but she didn't really listen.

"What the hell happened out there?" Caithlyn hissed at Claire.

"There are thermal cameras all over that paddock. She did not just disappear! How could this happen?" She yelled, storming towards her.

"It must have been some kind of a technical malfunction." She explained, trying to cut Caithlyn off with a short answer.

"People got killed, Claire!" Caithlyn yelled, right up in her face. Claire was almost 15cm higher than Caithlyn, with her heels on, so it must have looked funny, but she was just too angry, to think about that.

"Were you not watching?" Owen hissed at Claire walking up behind Caithlyn.

"She marked up that wall as a distraction. She wanted us to think she escaped!" Owen said angrily, placing his arm in front of Caithlyn , to keep her back.

"Hold on. We are talking about an animal here." Claire argued, like they were crazy for suggesting that the Indominus was intelligent.

"A highly intelligent animal." Owen added, staring at Claire with anger written all over his face.

"400 meters to the beacon." One of the workers said, making their eyes turn to the screen.

"You're going after her with nonlethals." Caithlyn asked in disbelief.

"We have $26 million invested in that asset.
We can't just kill it." Mr. Masrani said.

"Those men are gonna die." Caithlyn said, sending a death glare at Claire.

"300 meters to the beacon." The worker said.

"Call this mission off right now." Owen ordered.

"They're right on top of it." Lowery added.

"Call it off right now." Owen repeated, louder this time.

"You are not in control here!" Claire yelled frustrated before they just watched the screen in silence for a few seconds.

The troopers found something.

"Blood's not clotted yet. It's close." The leader said.

"What is that?" Simon asked confused, looking at the screen.

"That's her tracking implant. She clawed it out." Owen answered shocked.

"How would it know to do that?" Claire asked in shock.

"She remembered where they put it in." Owen answered, staring at the screen.

"It can camouflage!" The leader yelled, just before the Indominus grabbed him.

The rest of the group, attacked the monster, but they lost that fight. We just stared at the screen, watching them die.

Simon folded his hand in front of him.

Owen turned around. "Evacuate the island."

"We'd never reopen." Claire said in shock.

"Seriously?! Is that all you care about?! People are dying out there, because of your crazy ideas of making a monster!" Caithlyn hissed, almost going after her.

"You made a genetic hybrid, raised it in captivity.
She is seeing all of this for the first time.
She does not even know what she is.
She will kill everything that moves." Owen said walking frustrated back and forth.

"Do you think the animal is contemplating its own existence?" Simon asked.

"She is learning where she fits in the food chain and I'm not sure you want her to figure that out." Owen answered, staring intensely at Simon.

"Now, Asset Containment can use live ammunition in an emergency situation.
You have an M134 in your armory.
Put it on a chopper and smoke this thing!" Owen said angrily, looking between Simon and Claire.

"We have families here. I'm not gonna turn this place into some kind of a war zone." Claire protested.

"You already have!" Caithlyn yelled frustrated at her.

"Mr. And Mrs. Grady, if you're not gonna help, there's no reason for you to be in here." Claire hissed, making Owen knock Lowery's collection of plastic dinosaurs, to the ground, before he stormed off.

Caithlyn send another death glare at Claire, before Owen grabbed her by the arm, dragging her along.

"I would have a word with your people in the lab. That thing out there that's no dinosaur." Owen said harshly, as he stopped by Simon.