Chapter Twenty-One

Time stopped. My heart was beating rapidly and each breath caught in my throat as we stood, watching each other.

"Mr. Firona" My voice was shaky as memories flooded my mind. What he had done to me... what pain he had put me through and when I stabbed him. Here I was, standing in front of the man that I stabbed.

Thankfully I was in a public place. "Well Milania, what a surprise to see you" Wrinkles formed around his eyes when he smiled. I think he was in his late forties or early fifties... or older. I wasn't sure.

"Well my master brought me here... I mean after all half the people here are maids or butlers" I tried to stand tough, hoping that he couldn't hear my heart beating causing it to feel like it was about to pop out from my chest.

He tilted his head slightly, "Master?" He asked, "You always refused to call me master. Only Sir or words worse than that... you were a very naughty maid Milania and not the type of naughty I like." I wanted to gag at what he had said.

Ew.

I tried to avert my eyes from his gaze. "Look at me" He growled and almost immediately my eyes snapped back to his. Why was I so scared? What happened to that brave streak the night I attacked him?

"Hmm? You're more obedient" He hesitated, "Did your new master touch you... molest you... scare you in ways that finally made you behave yourself?" My eyes widened. He was disgusting.

"N-no..." I wanted to call him a sick bastard but I couldn't. My voice was caught in my throat.

"Are you sure? There are so many men here.... I love to imagine what he does to you... does he make you tremble, make you scream and cry for freedom?" He was enjoying this. I was shaking.

BE TOUGH!

I couldn't stand this. I pushed past him, darting into the servants room, tears welling up in my eyes.

Don't you dare cry! Don't you dare!

I let out a yelp when I crashed into someone. I paused when my eyes met with a girl in front of me. She was pretty small... about two inches smaller than me.

"Sorry." She squeaked before she took a better look at me, "Are you alright Miss?" Her eyes seemed to widen and I gave her a weak smile as I rubbed my eyes.

"Fine... sorry about that." I murmured and she gave me a small smile.

"I'm Evangeline" She held out her hand and I took it, giving a light shake. She had wavy sandy blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She reminded me of a beautiful pixie... Tinkerbelle almost.

A sad thought crossed my mind, hoping she worked for someone who was kind. After seeing Mr. Firona I realized I had under appreciated Xander.... a bit.

"Dinner's ready" A cook announced, "Line up!".

Servants came through the door, I'm guessing their wristbands buzzed incase they didn't know. Evangeline grabbed my wrist, dragging me to the line so we weren't far behind. We seemed to be sixth and seventh in line.

We had to collect the starter then bring it out to our masters. Quickly enough we all shuffled forward, each taking the required plate. I grabbed Xander's one and followed the line out the door where everyone split up to serve.

Keeping my head low, I made my way to where Xander was. I set it down in front of him quietly, "Master" I bowed my head and he caught my wrist.

"Are you alright?"

"Fine"

"Have you made friends?"

I hesitated before nodding my head.